Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2000 Honda Accord Power Steering Whine when cold

2000 Honda Accord Power Steering Whine when cold

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2000 Honda Accord Power Steering Whine when cold

• Creator
    Topic
    Michael QuillinMichael Quillin
    Participant

I’m sure this is a common issue but the power steering in my 2000 Honda Accord continues to have a whine when cold. I’ve flushed the fluid, replaced the pump, cleaned the screen, and the noise is still there. If it is not harmful, I suppose I can live with it, but my fear is that it will eventually cause the pump to fail again. Any advice?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Charles PuttCharles Putt
      Participant

I had this same issue with our 2006 Odyssey. The fix, in our case, was an o-ring at either the inlet or the outlet at the pump (I can’t remember which). The colder weather makes the o-ring shrink a little and allow air past the seal until the engine warms up, and then it’s properly sealing the passage again and no more air is entering the system. Replace the o-ring, and your problem may go away. I looked up your car (Model and year, anyway, I put in EXL as the trim level, it shouldn’t necessarily matter), and the part number for the o-ring I’m thinking of is 91370-SV4-000. 98 cents. Worth a shot. Good luck.

Participant

Thanks, Charles. I should have mentioned that I did replace the o-ring when I had the pump replaced. Still no joy. There is a second o-ring at the power steering pressure gauge but I don’t think that is the culprit because is is in the high-pressure side an I don’t see fluid leaking out from there.

Charles PuttCharles Putt
          Participant

I should clarify that the new O-ring i put in our Ody was an updated model, which is red in color. If the pump in your Accord is the same one that’s in our Odyssey (And I wouldn’t rule out the possibility), it’s possible that it has the older black )-ring in it. The updated O-ring was increased in thickness specifically to address the problem you’re having.

Participant

Yep, I put in the newer red o-ring. I used the actual Honda part so I hope that that is not the source of the air leak. I’m starting to think it might be the new pump. It is an aftermarket part. Thanks again for your suggestions, Charles. Keep ‘em coming!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…