Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2000 Hyundai Accent GL rough idle/exhaust smell

2000 Hyundai Accent GL rough idle/exhaust smell

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2000 Hyundai Accent GL rough idle/exhaust smell

• Creator
    Topic
    L ReinhardtL Reinhardt
    Participant

Hey everyone,

Back in October our 2019 Sentra got repossessed thanks to Covid layoffs, so out of desperation we bought a 2000 Accent for $500. 200,000 miles.

The car honestly does its best and overall it runs really well for the issues it had when we got it. But one thing I have never been able to solve is its rough idle. Almost every part that could contribute has been replaced. Spark plugs, spark plug wires, PCV valve, EGR valve, O2 sensor, carbon filter, engine air filter, and I believe two other sensors. Receipts are in the car but I can’t remember what parts right now. It gets really rough when I’m stopped at lights or drive-thru lines. It’s also losing oil albeit very slowly; no puddles under the car, but new oil is around the oil filler cap at the end of a day of driving. So I even bought a new cap.

Also, when I’m idling with heat on (no recycle), an exhaust smell overwhelms the inside and I have to open the windows and just shut it off. No obvious exhaust coming out of anywhere but the tailpipe. No smoke, but it does produce a lot of exhaust period.

One final issue is that, sometimes, if I stop at a light and accelerate before coming to a full stop, it’ll just not want to accelerate. I have to punch the pedal for a moment to get it to speed up. This isn’t every single time though. Happens regardless of hills.

I know this car isn’t worth much, but it works for now, and I just want to take care of it… but I don’t know what else I could possibly fix lol

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

As to the idle issue…
        Have you check / tested fuel pressure?
        Might test the fuel pressure regulator to see if it is functioning correctly.
        You state: It’s also losing oil albeit very slowly; no puddles under the car, but new oil is around the oil filler cap at the end of a day of driving.
        This may be due to excessive crank case pressure.
        Suggest doing a compression and leak down test to see if your dealing with excessive wear in the combustion cambers.

Concerning the exhaust smell:
        Obviously there must be a leak somewhere.
        From what you describe, my first thought is somewhere around the firewall area.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…