Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2001 Ford Focus Hatchback – Rear Tail Lamps Not Working

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback – Rear Tail Lamps Not Working

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2001 Ford Focus Hatchback – Rear Tail Lamps Not Working

• Creator
    Topic
    Luke HLuke H
    Participant

Hey guys,

I’ve been investigating a few electrical issues on my 2001 Ford Focus and I found an area in the rear where it looks like the previous owner has made a couple of splices to bypass an existing problem (corrosion on the harness connectors). I have noticed some strange things like rear wiper is not completing a full swipe and the interior light in the trunk doesn’t work and thought I’d have a go at fixing the issue.

However, in attempting to fix that, I’ve created a serious issue and now the rear tail lamps won’t illuminate, nor the licence plate lights (the whole rear is dark). Turn signals and brake lamps are still working thankfully. Oh and the front lamps are working correctly too.

I’ve conducted some voltage checks with the light switch set to ‘on’ and I’m seeing only millivolts through the wire responsible for delivering power to the lamps to the rear. I’ve worked my way forwards to the fuse box and the fuses are also reading the same.

If voltage at the fusebox is incorrect, where is the best place to go from there? The wiring schematic I have seems only to provide information up to the fuse box (or I’m not looking in the right place). The one I’m using is here which isn’t bad, but it’s not the same year as my car – (http://navody.ford-focus.cz/Ford_Focus_manualy/mk1/FF1_el_schema.pdf). I initially thought of battery junction box and I checked all of the fuses but they are all working without issue and as far as I am aware there is no relay for rear lamps.

I’ve included basic vehicle details below:
      Ford Focus (hatchback) Ghia – 5dr
      1.6 Zetec-SE (Petrol)
      RHD (UK Spec)
      Year: 2001 (Mk1 – Pre-facelift)

Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Luke HLuke H
      Participant

Problem solved! Turns out there was a fuse I missed! It was pretty confusing though, because there is a splice from the ignition that is always hot from the battery junction box, but there’s also another part of the circuit that is only activated via the light switch and power routes separately from the central fuse box.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…