Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2002 Cavalier idles fine, stalls when driven

2002 Cavalier idles fine, stalls when driven

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2002 Cavalier idles fine, stalls when driven

• Creator
    Topic
    Brandon BensonBrandon Benson
    Participant

I’m a rank amateur trying to diagnose the problem with my 2002 Chevy Cavalier (2.2L, automatic, 101k miles, no-frills aftermarket CD player). It drove fine until one day it just wouldn’t start. I gave it a jump, and got about half a block before it died again. Jumped it again, got another short distance before it completely died – not even enough power to run the hazard lights or power steering. I called a tow truck (since my jump-starter was drained) and he was able to start it and left it idling while he towed it back home (low battery plays havoc with the anti-theft). An hour after I got it home, I was able to start it normally. The next day, the battery was completely drained – not even the dome light would come on.

I can still jump start it, and it hasn’t died in the parking lot, but I haven’t tried driving it again (for obvious reasons). I got a cheap multimeter, and the voltage fluctuates between 14.83 and 14.89 while idling (I’m new at this, so I don’t know if that’s normal, or if it’s just the multimeter, or if it’s a bad thing).

The battery is a 2-year-old ACDelco (still under warranty). I believe the alternator is the original.

My plan is to take both the battery and the alternator to be tested. I want to check for parasitic drain, but I need a decent battery charge to do that. What else should I be doing? What else should I look for? Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Being you state your seeing between 14.83 and 14.89 while idling ( which seems a tad bit on the high side )
        I would think your alternator is functioning.
        Suggest you have the battery load tested and inspect all connections for corrosion and fitment.
        Also check for any codes possibly stored.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…