Menu

2002 Ford Focus Transmission Issues

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge 2002 Ford Focus Transmission Issues

Tagged: ,

• Creator
    Topic
    Terry AnthonyTerry Anthony
    Participant

I have a 2002 Ford Focus with the 2.0l DOHC engine and automatic transmission, 153,000 miles. The issue I’m having is that there seems to be a serious delay in how fast the transmission upshifts during acceleration; if I try to accelerate at a normal rate, the RPM goes way up for a few seconds before the transmission finally shifts to the proper gear, and it usually does this 3-4 separate times from 0-35 mph (I haven’t noticed the issue much above this speed). Nothing odd happens during deceleration, and there seems to be no other issues once I am cruising at a given speed. If I accelerate slow enough (and I mean a crawl) this issue doesn’t happen, or happens less. I do have the error code P0705 (Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction), and I did replace this sensor, although I couldn’t seem to get it 100% properly adjusted despite having the 307415 tool (there is a small chance this is the issue?) Shift solenoids A-F, trans fluid and filter, and temperature sensor have been replaced since the issue started, and the fluid is at the proper level and is the proper type. I did use Super Tech fluid, though. I also recently pulled off and cleaned the throttle body and replaced the throttle position sensor with a new ford genuine sensor. Any ideas?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Michael SacksteinMichael Sackstein
      Participant

Honestly if you went through all those steps and you’re still having issues then unfortunately that means your transmission is just flat wearing out. That is a common problem with those focus automatic transmissions as they age. My advice is just live with it if the car still drives fine other than that because it’s honestly not worth putting a new transmission in that car.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…