Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2002 Honda CRV misfire and wet piston top but compression fine?

2002 Honda CRV misfire and wet piston top but compression fine?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2002 Honda CRV misfire and wet piston top but compression fine?

• Creator
    Topic
    BrentBrent
    Participant

Hi all, I’ve got a 2002 Honda CRV 282,000miles that has been giving me some problems. Scanner is giving me codes for random misfires and misfire codes on cylinders 3 and 4. Symptoms are bucking and shuddering during acceleration as it warms up and during a hot start. Doesn’t seem to be low on power, but I’ve been taking it easy. I seem to be using coolant as well because every time I look inside the radiator I can only see the radiator fins, and I end up putting in about a quart or 2. I still have yet to see the engine overheat, and the coolant temp stays pretty consistently around 190 during any long drives. I pressure tested the radiator and it held 15psi for 5 minutes. Pulled off the plugs and compression test read cylinder #1 172psi cylinder #2 155psi cylinder #3 182psi and cylinder #4 185psi, yes you read that right the cylinders on 3 and 4 that are misfiring have higher compression?! During the compression test white smoke visually could be seen coming from cylinders 3 and 4, so I peered down the spark plug tube with a mag-light and the tops of cylinders 3 and 4 were wet and had noticeably less carbon (could see metal shine) than the bone dry and dark brown/black pistons of cylinders 1 and 2. I initially suspected head gasket, but wouldn’t I see an issue with compression? Next guess is a lower intake gasket issue, but unsure of how I could confirm that even if I removed it? I’ve thought about trying to throw some Bars stop leak in the radiator to see if I could seal whatever leak is happening, or should I try to do it right and remove the lower intake? Even if I do find a leaky gasket it could be due to a warping issue and not just a gasket failure though. Advice and help with what to do next and what the issue might be would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Loading…