Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2003 Mazda Protege DX 2.0, Sending Unit/Pump Removal, Stripped and Rusty Scews..

2003 Mazda Protege DX 2.0, Sending Unit/Pump Removal, Stripped and Rusty Scews..

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2003 Mazda Protege DX 2.0, Sending Unit/Pump Removal, Stripped and Rusty Scews..

• Creator
    Topic
    Kevin McCutcheonKevin McCutcheon
    Participant

So I have a 2003 Protege that smells of gas, I investigated and it seems to be coming from the top of the tank where the sending unit is.

Easy fix usually but, rust belt problems… I have tried using a hand/manual impact driver with the tightest fitting bit and soaking with penetrant. No dice.

What are some options I have left, messing with fuel and vapors always sketches me out from sparks..

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Might try packing the bolts in dry ice (using heat is not an option ) and keep soaking with penetrating oil.
        Worse case may need to locate a replacement tank if removal proves impossible.

Kevin McCutcheonKevin McCutcheon
        Participant

Yea I really dont wanna take the tank out, would it be safe to drill? Or try to chisel them off with a brass drift?

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
          Participant

would it be safe to drill?
            That all depends on how much you enjoy life … the equation is inversely proportioned IE the more you love life the less you like to drill.

Or try to chisel them off with a brass drift?
            Then you still have the issue of removing the broken off threaded section still in the tank.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…