Menu

2004 CRV AWD Driveshaft Protection

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2004 CRV AWD Driveshaft Protection

• Creator
    Topic
    William TanguayWilliam Tanguay
    Participant

Can anyone answer why the 2004 CRV AWD has two steel bars that look like they are designed to go around the driveshaft? The back one does go around the drivehaft, the front one goes around nothing. It is one the side of the driveshaft! I bought the car brand new in October 2003. Honda has never answered this inquiry. The 2007 AWD Element, with a similar undercarriage, has two steel bars that both go around the driveshaft. Not the same car, but similar function???

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

I believe the bars/straps are to catch the drive shaft in the event something broke on the drive shaft while driving. otherwise the drive shaft
        could stick in the ground and catapult into the floor flipping the vehicle. safety.

William TanguayWilliam Tanguay
        Participant

Thank you, that was my opinion and observation, yet I received several commentaries from my Honda dealer that the bars were “put there for a reason,” and I shouldn’t be “messing with the placement of the front one.” My neighbor had a 2005 CRV with the front strap NOT around the shaft, and I looked at another 2004 at the dealership where the front strap was NOT around the shaft. In 2009 I wrote a letter to Honda that was NEVER answered regarding this topic, as I wondered why there would be a strap encircling nothing. Now, 18 years later, I wonder if I should risk a broken bolt to change its location. Thanks for your earlier response.

college mancollege man

Your most welcome

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…