Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2005 Acura MDX Power Steering Pressure Hose Replacement

2005 Acura MDX Power Steering Pressure Hose Replacement

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2005 Acura MDX Power Steering Pressure Hose Replacement

• Creator
    Topic
    ZacharyZachary
    Participant

Recently, a close friend of my wife and I came to me with a power steering fluid leak on her 2005 MDX with the 3.5L. She had taken the vehicle to a “professional” mechanic to have the leak fixed. He charged her $200 to change the P/S pump but the leak persisted. I found he did indeed replace the pump, but wrapped the pressure hose in electrical tape and sent her on her way. I confirmed this is where the leak was coming from with the engine running and having her turn the wheel back and forth. I was able to see fluid dripping from the spot the hose was wrapped in electrical tape. I told her I would do the job.

When she brought me the vehicle, I couldn’t find the other end of the pressure hose (I know it must go to the rack). Long story short, I did a little research online (information is very sparse) and from what I can gather, you have to lower the K-member in order to access the other end of the pressure hose. I’ve read that some people have been able to access it from the top, but I’d rather not do it that way.

Here’s where I need help:
      1) Do you really have to lower the K-member to do this job?
      2) If the K-member must be lowered, what is the best way to go about it on this vehicle? I don’t work on Hondas often and want to make sure I do this correctly. I’m perfectly capable of using a shop crane and other such tools if needed. I’ve done bigger jobs in the past.

Note: She’s very understanding that I work a full time job and typically am only able to do such work on the weekends. She’ll continue driving the vehicle for now (adding P/S fluid as needed) until I’m able to complete the job.

Thank you in advance!
      -ZZ

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

See if any of these are of any use to you.

ZacharyZachary
        Participant

I came across those videos in my previous internet searches for the job and didn’t know that the RL and TLS are that similar to the MDX. That’s why I came here! I’m not a Honda guy, but need to learn for when I work on them!

I’ll let y’all know how the job turns out. I probably won’t be taking it on for another week or two. If there’s anything else I should know beyond what’s covered in the videos or something that’s different on the MDX, let me know.

Thank you!
          -ZZ

college mancollege man

from what I have read. people are going underneath on the passenger side and using a crow’s foot with extension to get to the line
            on the rack. The car needs to be on jack stands passenger wheel off.

Assaf LevyAssaf Levy
            Participant

I have just finished the first day working on this issue and removing the high pressure line, along with he return cause to me it felt like you have too. And I can say this is one very tricky back killing DIY project! Taking down the K member will make life much much much easier, I have no idea hot to put it back in because the high pressure line goes around the k member and when I try to put it back through the engine bay the angle just won’t let me insert the new line it..

I am extremely frusy

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…