Menu

2005 civic ex coolant leak

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2005 civic ex coolant leak

• Creator
    Topic
    Jason KaminskiJason Kaminski
    Participant

I have a leak on my 05 honda civic, I wanted to think it was the water pump but when I go to pour in the coolant, it leaks like a faucet from the back of the engine but when the car is running and has some throttle, it turns into a drip. Could it be the hose that in the back of this diagram that is near the water passage? (right next to the intake)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2592/7448/products/honda-civic-2001-2005-17l-jdm-engine-d17a-sohc-vtec-4-cylinder-976982_900x.jpg

Where does that hose head to? I can’t quite get my car jacked up high enough the standard jack I have, so I might need to get a floor jack rented somewhere or put it on a hoist. Just was curious where that hose goes and if that could be my culprit.

Thanks ETCG!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

There is an ‘o’ ring on that pipe that could be leaking. Easiest way to find a coolant leak is with a pressure tester. These can often be borrowed from your local parts store. Also, they aren’t that expensive and handy to have around.

You might also find this info helpful. https://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/finding-and-fixing-leaks/finding-and-fixing-leaks

Jason KaminskiJason Kaminski
        Participant

I did figure out that is where it was leaking from, so I took the connecting pipe out and I ordered the o-ring Honda OEM replacement, part 91314-ph7-003.

However, when I slid the new o-ring onto the connecting pipe it is loose and seems slightly big. Will it tighten up when I push the connecting pipe back into the water pump housing? The way I got the pipe out was from the side, I didn’t want to remove the intake again, so I am just going to try to press it in. Thanks again for the answer previously and this will be my last question. I guess I can just try to slide it back in tonight and see if it stops leaking haha.

J

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

Be sure to clean the corrosion out of the bore before installing the new ‘o’ ring. Also, I use silicone paste on the ‘o’ ring before insertion to prevent it from being damaged when installing.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…