Menu

2005 crv vibration at idle

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2005 crv vibration at idle

Tagged: ,

• Creator
    Topic
    nicknick
    Participant

I have a 2005 CRV se with about 100,000 miles on it, I bought the car with 70,000 miles on it and shortly after I bought it I noticed a vibration at idle, it can be felt thru the steering wheel and the seat. It does not vibrate while driving, only at idle. It is driving me absolutely crazy to the point where I want to sell the car.

It is not ignition related, plugs have been changed, throttle body cleaned and fuel injectors cleaned, I’m all good in that department.

I thought it had something to do with the motor mounts, while trying to trouble shoot, I sat in the car while it was vibrating and had my mechanic jack up the motor with a floor jack, by doing this we were able to make the vibrations go away only one time, every other time we tried the vibration failed to go away. I ordered a set aftermarket of motor mounts which were total garbage and came out quicker than they went in.

While I had the mounts out I noticed the factory ones seemed to be in perfect shape.

A set of OEM mounts cost around $500, I would have no problem spending the money if I was for sure it would fix the issue. I did change the top transmission mount with an new OEM mount do fix a vibration I had at takeoff from a dead stop.

Ive also disconnected the exhaust to eliminate vibration coming thru hangers or flex joints, didnt change anything.

Some people are try to say its normal for a 4cyl engine to virbate, but my mom has an 06 CRV with about 40k more miles and it idles smooth enough that you cant even tell the car is on, so I know there is something wrong here…..

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

The key thing to remember about a vibration is that vibration is caused by something that is rotating. I think you were on a logical track checking out your mounts.

Does the vibration occur in park as bad as it does in gear with the brake on?

A remote possibility could be a cracked flex plate (if an automatic) or an issue with the front crank damper (chunk missing, messing up balance)

Another possibility is an internal issue (underperforming cylinder due to valve or piston ring damage) – A Compression check can diagnose this.

Good luck!

-Karl

nicknick
        Participant

[quote=”ToyotaKarl” post=201722]The key thing to remember about a vibration is that vibration is caused by something that is rotating. I think you were on a logical track checking out your mounts.

Does the vibration occur in park as bad as it does in gear with the brake on?

-Karl[/quote]

The vibration does occur in drive and reverse with foot on the brake, but it changes, sometimes it gets a little better, sometimes a little worse. Theres jo rhyme or reason to it.

Rahul JonesRahul Jones
          Participant

If the vibration happens while in gear like Drive or Reverse check what RPM it stays at and does switching ON the AC make it worse or better. If so, does the RPM rise up or go down?

nicknick
            Participant

[quote=”rahuljones” post=201727]If the vibration happens while in gear like Drive or Reverse check what RPM it stays at and does switching ON the AC make it worse or better. If so, does the RPM rise up or go down?[/quote]

Worse in drive, same rpm
              Worse with the ac on

Billy AndrewsBilly
              Participant

Shot in the dark… maybe the balancer shaft skipped a tooth?

nicknick
                Participant

[quote=”relative4″ post=201730]Shot in the dark… maybe the balancer shaft skipped a tooth?[/quote]

i guess anything is possible, i think its unlikely tho

nicknick
                  Participant

Anyone else?

nicknick
                    Participant

bumpp

Todd SmithTodd Smith
                      Participant

How about the harmonic balancer? Is it wobbling during idle?

nicknick
                        Participant

Im not sure, I guess the only way to know is a visual inspection while running?

Todd SmithTodd Smith
                          Participant

Right. The pulley should run true when the car is idling. It may be prudent to have someone in the car to keep it idling in drive while you watch the pulley. Allbeit rather hard to see from top side. Perhaps remove the balancer splash shield and have them turn the wheel right. Make sure they only turn the wheel far enough right for you to get a good look. Please don’t place yourself in the path of the vehicle. Or if you are FWD only, then just put it up on stands and observe.

Bill TaylorBill Taylor
                            Participant

I have a 2004 with the same symptoms and checked/replaced similar parts. I also adjusted the valves. No change. I assumed it was a mount as it feels a mount that is “bound up.” It is a slight vibration, at idol, under load only. Once under way the vehicle is smooth.

I have this feeling some other part (power steering hose?) may be transmitting engine vibration. Now that the weather in Michigan is getting better, I am going to do a deeper dive into this issue. If anyone else has ideas…please share!

Ed BrickerEd Bricker
                              Participant

Bill – did you ever figure out what this is? I’ve got the same issue but the vibration is now worse. Pulley running true, all ignition parts real OEM freshly replaced. New after-market motor mounts installed, transmission fluid flushed and changed… at my wit’s end.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              Loading…