Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2006 Malibu (V6) Exhaust Restriction

2006 Malibu (V6) Exhaust Restriction

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2006 Malibu (V6) Exhaust Restriction

• Creator
    Topic
    Casey CCasey C
    Participant

’06 Malibu w/ V6: I noticed over the past year that the exhaust system has become noisy and sounds like there is a leak (louder than usual as if I put in an aftermarket muffler). Looked underneath and see an apparent gap between the flex pipe and the tail pipe behind it. Might be other leaks, haven’t gotten that far.

Recently when driving on the freeway, I noticed a substantial struggle to get above 2k rpms no matter how much I accelerated. Seems to me there is an exhaust restriction. My question is – the restriction must be either one of the cats or possibly the muffler? (I’m aware of the infrared thermo test on the cats, but I’m assuming ultimately they’ll have to be removed and inspected to confirm if any of them are blocked.)
      The leak seems less problematic and mostly just annoying, will address that regardless.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 12 months ago by Casey CCasey C.
    Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Casey CCasey C
      Participant

Meant to mention also – I do not have a CEL, which made me question if it’s one of the cats. I assumed a blocked cat would throw a code…..correct me on that if I’m wrong

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
        Participant

Much tougher to clog any muffler than a cat.
          Sounds like you may have a partially clogged cat.
          Depending on how your ECM is programmed todetermines an actual fault

Casey CCasey C
          Participant

I think it’s the cat(s). Any thoughts on aftermarket? Normally, I’d go for the best/oem but it’s very expensive, and I don’t use this vehicle much. I considered getting a cheap aftermarket set and then attempting to clean the existing ones. I figure if I can unclog them via cleaning, I’ll save ’em for when the cheap ones give me any issues.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
            Participant

Many go for aftermarket replacements for the exact reason you stated.. cost.
              But like everything else in life.. you get what you pay for.
              I wouldn’t go for the cheapest for the reason if they do fail prematurely you’ll have to do the job twice.
              JMHO.

Casey CCasey C
              Participant

Thanks. The more I think about it the less sense it makes.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…