Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2007 Grand Prix Rattling/Squeaking Noise

2007 Grand Prix Rattling/Squeaking Noise

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2007 Grand Prix Rattling/Squeaking Noise

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    David HibbleDavid Hibble
    Participant

Hello everyone,

I’m new to the forums and have recently had trouble with my car that has led me here.

For about a month, my car has been making a squeaking noise when coming to stops occasionally. Then, a couple days ago, my car started to make a rattling noise that felt like a small vibration under me. Yesterday, I took the car to Jiffy Lube where they performed a brake inspection and they found all brake pads to be in good condition and found no problems with the car at all. The technician suggested that I get my tires replaced because they’re 11 years old, but I am not sure if that could be the problem. Today, upon first turning the car on, the rattling was barely there. It seemed to get progressively worse as I drove it more throughout the day, then the rattling became accompanied by a squeaking/squealing sound that could be heard from the outside of the car. The noise also seems to only happen when braking or cruising, and seems to not happen while accelerating. I also tend to feel the rattling more at slower speeds, around 15mph on residential streets. The car runs fine otherwise and I have had no issues with braking or any other functions of the car.

Vehicle Information:
      Pontiac
      Grand Prix
      3.8L V6
      84,942 Mileage

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

I’d be looking at the heat shields on the exhaust. If they are good, hit the muffler with the palm of your hand to see if you hear the rattle. Sometimes mufflers break apart internally causing a rattle like that.

As a general practice, tires should be replaced about every 5 years. In my view, tires are the most important part of your vehicle.

More info on finding noises here: http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/diagnosing-noises-in-your-car

Good hunting and keep us posted on what you find.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…