Menu

2007 Odyssey vibration

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Nightflyr * Richard Kirshy 8 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    Charles Ballew
    Charles Ballew
    Participant

Greetings: My name is Charles and I have a 2007 Odyssey-J35A7.

When vehicle is cold and in drive with brake applied I get a vibration/shake sound. I looked underneath during such moment and it sounds like it is near or around crankshaft (passenger/engine side). At first it sounded like coming from inside the oil pan. Not saying it is the crank just the sound is loudest near that side/area. While touching the belt tensioner it was vibrating in a “Look I’m working properly” way. The tensioner is less than a year old.
    Once engine is warm it goes away, mostly, not really noticeable.

So, could that be bad head gasket or internal issue?

Hope you and yours are doing well.
    Thanks for your time video or other wise.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Nightflyr *
    Richard Kirshy
    Participant

Have you checked the engine and transmission mounts??
    Star the vehicle, put it in drive with the brake applied and give it a little gas to load up the drive train and see if there is any excessive movement (engine or transmission lifting upwards )

Michael Sackstein
    Michael Sackstein
    Participant

Yep could be bad motor mounts. Also it could be that the car is due for a valve adjustment

Charles Ballew
    Charles Ballew
    Participant

Let us hope not a valve adjustment…just had that done 6 months ago.
    The motor mount visually looks great, but possibly looks ca be deceiving.

Charles Ballew
    Charles Ballew
    Participant

At a visual inspection the motor mount (side) looks great. That said looks are deceiving.

Once in drive w/brake-on I get the vibration, but could the issue exist and not noticed until drive-train engages? If so, what could that tell us?

If the motor mount is the issue, and it maybe, why does the vibration settle or go away once engine is warm? Things just settle at high temps?
    Serious question not being facetious.

If not the mount. what else could make a vibration like that?
    If the belt tensioner is working hard cold it be a bad power steering pump? Perhaps, an a/c pump pulley dragging before it freezes or goes out?

The what-ifs are endless I suppose.

Nightflyr *
    Richard Kirshy
    Participant

I would be hooking up a scan tool and looking at live data from cold to hot to see what exactly is changing ( if anything )

Charles Ballew
    Charles Ballew
    Participant

I have blue-tooth device, name Blue Driver i think, to do something of a scan. I’m sure you mean a real scan tool used by shops. I will use it to find out what information I can.
    Anything in particular I need to look at, or just look for a reading that totally changes from one to another?

Nightflyr *
    Richard Kirshy
    Participant

Considering by your description your issue starts out when the engine is cold then improves as it warms up.
    I’d be looking at fuel trims both short term and long term.
    Then with a cold engine see what they are at idle then rev it up and hold at ~3000 rpm see if there is a noticeable changes

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Loading…