Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2007 Pontiac Vibe Transmission Concerns

2007 Pontiac Vibe Transmission Concerns

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2007 Pontiac Vibe Transmission Concerns

• Creator
    Topic
    SethSeth
    Participant

My car has 210k miles. Over the past year or so, I’ve noticed that there’s a clunk coming from under the hood followed by a shudder of the car whenever I shift from park to drive, and even worse if I go from reverse to drive. In addition, there is a very concerning grinding noise whenever I apply more throttle to make the transmission downshift while driving up hills. All the motor mounts look good- no tears and not too much movement. I am worried that my transmission is going out. Is there anything else I can check or would it be best to take it to a transmission shop to get it diagnosed?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Check the condition and level of the transmission fluid, might also check the CV axles.
        If both check out good then perhaps taking it to a qualified transmission shop would be the wise choice.

SethSeth
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback! The fluid is a good color at the proper level. No nasty smell either. I just replaced the CV axles as well because that’s was the only other suspect I could think of.

Jeff KelleyJeff Kelley
          Participant

I don’t have the schematics for your vehicle. However, I’d be willing to bet there is more to your front axle assembly than just the CV joints. One thing that I would try is stopping at neutral when going between drive and reverse. If your problem diminishes significantly, it may mean at least part of the problem is outside the transmission. Also, if your engine is idling too high this can accentuate the issue.
            I hope you can resolve this issue before it gets worse.

SethSeth
            Participant

Stopping in neutral helps a lot. Also, turning off the A/C and thus lowering the idle speed also helps. I also notice that I sometimes hear it if I accelerate from a stop light.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…