Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2008 Buick Lacrosse Coolant Leak at Timing Cover

2008 Buick Lacrosse Coolant Leak at Timing Cover

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2008 Buick Lacrosse Coolant Leak at Timing Cover

• Creator
    Topic
    Vlad2Vlad2
    Participant

So I have a coolant leak that I thought was a bad radiator the way it leaked and was wet all over the radiator on the passenger side. Turns out its leaking between the timing cover and block.

I changed the water pump a few months ago and I didn’t put sealant on the long bolts and it appears to be leaking from the area or the long bolts.

My question is, do I just put the Permatex PTF sealant on the bolts and put it back together to see if it leaks, or do the full thing and pull of the harmonic balancer (already took out the bolt, just need to pull it off) and put a new gasket on and then but sealant on those bolts? Is it worth diving in deeper than I already am.

Thanks,
      Ed

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

I would try the sealant on the bolt threads first. Check that its not a cracked coolant elbow.

Vlad2Vlad2
        Participant

heh, everyone goes for the coolant eblows. 🙂 Such a weak point.

I swapped them out when I did the radiator and put in the metal ones so they aren’t the leak. I pulled off the coils and the board behind it and the mount and watched it leak below the water pump. I have the power steering pump off, the belt tensioner and such, so I might as well just pull the balancer and the cover. After thinking about it, I can check out the timing chain while i am in there as the car has 165k on it. Probably not a bad idea. Thanks for the input! 🙂

college mancollege man

Keep us posted on your progress

Vlad2Vlad2
            Participant

didn’t change the timing chain, it was tight and looked fine. After cleaning up all the gasket off the engine block and the timing belt cover, I put it all back together and its running fine. Took it out to dinner tonight with the family. Thanks for your help!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…