Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2008 Ford Taurus x front wheels smoking

2008 Ford Taurus x front wheels smoking

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2008 Ford Taurus x front wheels smoking

• Creator
    Topic
    rhondarhonda
    Participant

Driving my sons car today around town and all of a sudden there was smoke coming from both front tires when I went to stop.I drive another 3 miles to his place and the tire area was on fire. What did I do and how do I fix it

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Well, the vehicle may have seized brakes, a inner fender may be rubbing on the tire, bad wheel bearings, front end way out of alignment.
        Going to need a bit more information in order to narrow down a possible source.
        Was there any issues with steering?
        Was there any issues braking?
        Was there any odd noises?
        Was the engine running normally?

SethSeth
        Participant

If you are able to, I would allow the car to cool down and take the brake calipers off and check to make sure the slide pins aren’t seized. If they are seized, this would cause the brake pads to be in constant contact with the rotors, reaching very high temperatures, and causing the brake pad material to catch fire.

Michael SacksteinMichael Sackstein
          Participant

yeah it definitely sounds like the calipers have seized up in front. I would try disassembling the brakes in front and see if you can get the piston moving in the caliper. If you can, then you would just need to spray out all the grease for the slider pins and clean all the gunk out of there and re-lubricate them again with new grease and that’ll get them to start moving freely again. If that doesn’t work, then you probably need new brake calipers in front. But do try cleaning them out first, that often works. I had that same problem on my 2014 Honda CR-V and after I did this to the rear brakes that problem went away.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…