Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2009 Mini Cooper S R56 Intermittent Crank-no-start

2009 Mini Cooper S R56 Intermittent Crank-no-start

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2009 Mini Cooper S R56 Intermittent Crank-no-start

• Creator
    Topic
    Tim RikerTim Riker
    Participant

I bought a 2009 Mini Cooper S R56 with some engine / computer issues. Codes show as:
      P2418 P3012 P3024
      Engine light on, oil light on sometimes.
      Sometimes the car will start and run fine. Other times it cranks but does not start. When it starts, the tach moves while cranking. When it doesn’t start, the tach does not budge. After failing, the front most relay in the engine compartment fuse box chatters. Pulling and replacing the relay and then quickly trying to start again, works.
      Applying a battery booster to the battery while the relay is chattering does NOT stop it from chattering. Lights on, lights off, same behaviour so I don’t think it’s a battery or voltage issue, but I don’t have a relay-test-point extension and I have not measured voltage at the relay.
      The dealer wants to replace the DME/ACU and the wiring harness, for over $3k in parts alone and they will NOT guarantee that it will fix the issue.
      Thoughts on what might be the cause? As everything works fine when the relay engages, I doubt this is a computer issue. When the DME fails, it seems it always fails. Intermittent issues are not generally computer issues.
      I don’t know where to find a wiring diagram for this car. Suggestions?

• This topic was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by Tim RikerTim Riker.
    Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dave TidmanDave Tidman
      Participant

Intermittent electrical issues are so much fun. 🙂

Do you know what that relay controls? That should give some direction, I would guess that it somehow supplies power to some of the sensors since the tach does not move. Beyond that, you will likely need a wiring diagram to figure out if the control side of the relay is working or not. Also, is there another relay you can swap in place to see if the problem moves with the relay?

Tim RikerTim Riker
        Participant

I’ve tried swapping the relay with another relay and the problem stays in the same spot, so I don’t think it’s the relay.
          The relay is labeled “R1” engine which is not very descriptive. My understanding is that this drives the DME itself. I don’t know what powers it.
          Labeled K6300 here:
          https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r56-cooper-s-hat/RFPlNdP

Dave TidmanDave Tidman
          Participant

I’m not really familiar with BMW/minis, but this sounds a lot like the Chrysler/Dodge TIPM issues. I would check for corrosion in the connections (aka the green crusties). Good Luck.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…