Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2009 Saturn Astra Fuse Box/Relay Issue – no start

2009 Saturn Astra Fuse Box/Relay Issue – no start

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2009 Saturn Astra Fuse Box/Relay Issue – no start

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    Paul BoechlerPaul Boechler
    Participant

Model: 2009 Saturn Astra

Issue

Car won’t turn over, a relay in the engine fuse box is making a clicking sound when trying to turn over. Here is a video of the fuse box when the key is turned: https://imgur.com/a/cGmtpgB?

History

Coil pack went bad on my car, so I replaced it with a cheap part off ebay (yes I know this was royally stupid). This caused a spike in voltage/electrical issues over a couple of months (positive battery terminal was even melting), until one day my dash lit up like a Christmas tree while on the highway and wouldn’t turn back on. Radio and interior lights would work, just no response at all when the key was turned over.

Diagnosis

Brought the car into the shop. They confirmed that the coil pack was bad and causing a spike in voltage. No issues with alternator. They could by-pass the starting mechanisms and turn over my car manually inside the engine (I’m not sure how this was done). I was surprised to hear that the ECM is actually fine, but I have my doubts. I was told my engine fuse box was showing damage and needed to be replaced.

Fix proposed by shop

Replace the coil pack and fuse box. They had difficulty finding the parts that were not at some ungodly price ($1500+).

Current situation

I was able to find and OEM coil pack and fuse box from a totaled car the same make and year online. Replaced the coil pack and fuse box. I get life in the cabin, but when I try to turn over the car, I get a clicking from a relay (this clicking does not occur with the damaged fuse box). The fuses on the OEM fuse box came with the part. I tried swapping the relay that is making the clicking noise with the relay from the damaged fuse box. The damaged fuse box does not have this clicking on the relay.

Hypothesis

Is this issue related to the security system possibly? Does a GM dealership need to reprogram the ECM? Could my starter be shot? How do I get this diagnosed without costing a $$$. Would a shop have difficulties diagnosis electrical issues like this? I don’t want to spend bad money after good, I’m not sure what to do.

Extra Information

This lovely man with a Scottish accent did a video on the exact same issue I am experiencing. The difference being is the car he’s working on has a damaged ECM, and my local shop said my ECM was not damaged, but the fuse box was the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-VaG9MZF-I (25 minute video sorry)

Fuses/Relay diagram: https://fusesdiagram.com/opel-vauxhall/fuse-box-diagram-astra-h.html

R7 is the relay that is clicking when the key is turned.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

You have quite a bit going on there.
        You can have the starter bench tested to see if it is good or not.
        You should check all the powers and grounds.
        If one burnt up, best to check them all for any damage.
        Next thing would test to see if your getting power to the starter solenoid when the key is in the start position.

As to your Hypothesis.
        Is this issue related to the security system possibly?
        Possibly, not sure how your security system disables the vehicle.. IE. does it kill the ignition or if it disables the starter.

Does a GM dealership need to reprogram the ECM?
        If there is no issue with the ECM ( according to the shop ) there should be no need to reprogram it.
        Though it might be a good idea to see if there are any error codes stored.

Could my starter be shot?
        See above.

How do I get this diagnosed without costing a $$$.
        By researching, watching related videos and doing it yourself.

Would a shop have difficulties diagnosis electrical issues like this?
        Not if there good at their jobs, but again you have to find a qualified shop and you will pay the hourly rate till the issue is isolated and repaired.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…