Menu

2010 Malibu – Service ESC

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2010 Malibu – Service ESC

• Creator
    Topic
    StevieStevie
    Participant

Hi All,

I recently purchased a 2010 Chevy Malibu (about 6 mo ago) and today I got a “Service ESC” warning when I started the vehicle and the yellow Traction Control Light on the dash is now lit. The car has about 115,000 miles on it, but this is the first issue I’ve had with it so far. It’s not throwing out any other errors, and when restarting the car the error remains. I am a little concerned since it seems from everything I’ve read about the issue, that this could be a much larger wiring problem prevalent with Chevy….but is there any chance it could just be a dirty sensor or something to do with humidity? It was raining pretty heavily the night before this happened. The day prior I also was noticing some difficulty when accelerating the vehicle (It would not go above its current speed for a couple seconds, despite my foot on the accelerator, and then would suddenly accelerate as normal-no jump or anything, so I don’t think that’s a transmission issue but maybe a power issue?), but I am not get any “Engine Power Reduced” warnings yet.

This seems similar to the issue I had frequently with my previous car, a Buick Century, which makes it particularly annoying to have it reoccurring with this one 🙁 With the Buick I took it to several shops quoting me ridiculous prices of $1800, claiming I needed to replace the ECBM and ABS pump. Eventually took it to the one mechanic I trust, and he cleaned a sensor for $50 and it was fixed.

Any ideas would be appreciated (:

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dandan

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t37841_ds614438

hope this helps

also see if someone can plug a scanner in see if you can get some codes, could be as simple as a blown fuse, could be as complex as something needs some repairs.

none nonenone
        Participant

Can you get codes pulled and share those codes with us? It might be necessary to go to a shop with a high end scan tool and get codes pulled. I could see codes being set in the transmission, ABS, and traction control modules, or maybe even a CAN BUS problem. A pocket scanner from the parts store won’t be able to pull all that out.

That hesitation to accelerate sounds like it might have been the traction control activating. Even if it was the wrong thing for the traction control to do, it might still have been intentional by a control module depending on a sensor input. Part of traction control strategy is to limit power as needed.

JustinJustin
          Participant

What is the last 8 of your vin and I will check to see if it is under the recall. Still I would have to codes pulled either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StevieStevie
            Participant

Thanks guys-The hesitation being the traction control activating actually makes a lot of sense.
              Unfortunately on my way home the pesky light went off on its own. I’m sure it will reappear again, so I’ll try to get a code.

Cammed-The last 8 are AF226478. When I looked it up I got 0 recalls, but the info I’m finding here seems to include the 2010 Malibus?
              http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults?searchType=ID&targetCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=14V252000

KevinKevin
              Participant

Generally when the ESC light comes on it de-activates the entire traction control system so that usually rules out the system stopping the acceleration problem. However a faulty throttle position sensor or electronic throttle body would cause that problem. Many newer cars are what is called drive-by-wire which means there is no cable running from your gas pedal to the engine. That is often how the ESC system works and a faulty part would trip the ESC and TCS light. If you stop by almost any parts store they should be able to use their OBD reader and read out the codes.

none nonenone
                Participant

[quote=”wizard0ne0″ post=161668]Generally when the ESC light comes on it de-activates the entire traction control system so that usually rules out the system stopping the acceleration problem.[/quote]

She did say that the hesitation occurred the day prior to the traction control light coming on. A problem with the throttle body or the APP sensor in the gas pedal should have thrown the reduced power warning or at least a lit MIL if the power loss is a symptom to either. In the meantime, there is a TSB out there for traction control, but we’d have to be able to tie it to a specific code. You’re welcome to read this over for now….

#PIC5074B: TRACTION LIGHT ON WITH CODE C0561 (SEP 21, 2011)

Subject: Traction Light On With Code C0561

Models: 2008-2012 Chevrolet Malibu
                  2008-2009 Pontiac G6
                  2008-2009 Saturn Aura

This PI was superseded to update recommended field. Please discard PIX9999.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

A customer might comment of a Traction Control Light on. After further investigation a C0561-71 code may be the only code stored in the EBCM. Check to see if there are any other codes stored ANYWHERE else on the vehicle. If there are, then diagnose them first.

Note: This code could be set due to a faulty traction control switch assembly.

Recommendation/Instructions:

First thing to check is the BCM data list and make sure the Traction control switch is activating on and off like it should. Recent part investigations have shown faulty traction control switches to be the leading cause of C0561-71.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…