Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2011 Honda Insight – High Temp Indicator after engine swap

2011 Honda Insight – High Temp Indicator after engine swap

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2011 Honda Insight – High Temp Indicator after engine swap

• Creator
    Topic
    JoeJoe
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a 2011 Honda Insight (1.3l engine) with a bad engine and installed a used engine (67k miles on the used engine). Car started up fine and runs fine. Haven’t driven it yet because the High Temp Indicator is coming on after the car runs for a minute or so. I don’t believe its running long enough for the thermostat to open as the hose going to bottom of the radiator is cool, and as I said its only running for a minute or so when the light comes on. The hard line from the water pump to the thermostat is warm, not hot.

I’m thinking I may have air in the coolant system and that’s why the temp sensor is coming on. So, I would go through the process of bleeding the coolant as Eric has detailed in one of his videos except the High Temp Light is coming on so quickly after starting the car. I don’t want to overheat the engine by continuing to run it.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

Is it a light or gauge? On a cold engine the light or gauge should not come on for a little while of running. If everything is plugged in
        You will need to run the car and bleed the air. just keep an eye on it. If it does get to hot, shut it off and wait.

JoeJoe
        Participant

Unfortunately it is an idiot light. So no way of know the actual or even relative temp.

My OBD Auto Doctor software isn’t picking up the engine temp. Just shows -40C all the time. Other readings like engine RPM while running looks to be working ok. I should check on another Honda to see if it normally picks up the coolant temp on Hondas. If so then I know there is a problem with this car.

I started taking stuff off the engine to get to the coolant temp sensor. Unfortunately its under the throttle body and electrical wiring so its not easy to get to. I can then check that I plugged it in correctly. Looking at the service manual I downloaded I see I can test the sensor’s resistance to see if its working correctly. I’m not getting any error codes though (the manual listed P1116 as an error code for the coolant temp sensor).

Any idea if the High Temp Indicator would come on by default if something wasn’t working in the system?

JoeJoe
          Participant

Okay. This is embarrassing. I missed plugging the coolant temp sensor into the wiring. It’s located right under a plastic cased engine wiring harness. The connector comes out of the bottom of the harness. When I set the harness back in position I missed it.

So now it runs well and and no High Temp Indicator light.

I am still getting the check engine light for emissions, the VSA light, and the airbag light. No fault codes on the OBD Auto Doctor software. Now I need to chase these down. Never ending fun…

Thanks for your reply College Man.

college mancollege man

Your most welcome. Glad that part was easy. Keep us posted on your progress.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…