Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 2011 Honda Pilot Rear Shock Bolt snapped

2011 Honda Pilot Rear Shock Bolt snapped

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2011 Honda Pilot Rear Shock Bolt snapped

• Creator
    Topic
    Vlad2Vlad2
    Participant

I snapped the bolt that mounts the left rear shock to the lower control arm on my 2011 Honda Pilot. I was able to sawall the shock out of the lower control arm as the bolts was holding the shock in and wouldn’t come out. Then I tried to remove the bolt and part of the strut mount, it spun bu wouldn’t come out, so I grabbed the “nut” welded to the control arm. The “nut” (its rounded so you can’t us it as a nut) spun right off the broken bolt. Good thing cause I didn’t need to drill it out. Bad because well, its not on the control arm anymore.

My thought is to get a flange nut and a new bolt (the bolt will hopefully be from Honda) and just torque it down. Would this be fine or should I pull the control arm and have it welded at the local welding shop?

Also, any idea what the torque specs are for the rear suspension? I am also putting new springs in it because one broke at the base. (of course the other side came apart just fine because I used the Big Red Wrench (mapp gas)).

As always, thanks for your help!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

A flanged nut or grade 8 or higher nut and washer should work. torque and go.

https://www.justanswer.com/honda/1t14c-torque-settings-rear-shock-absorbers.html

Vlad2Vlad2
        Participant

yea, that is what I bought, I got a lock washer too. I got it all apart and the new springs in (the bottom of the right spring was broken off). Went to get the sway arm linkages off as I ate the crap out of them getting them out of the control arm with vise grips. Cut the sway bar end off the left one like any good rust belt shade tree would do with a sawzall ( the grinder gave out the magic smoke last month, just haven’t grabbed a new one yet) and cut it off, and it won’t come out of the hole, of the sway bar…. lol…. so after the holiday, I will grab an air hammer and fix that issue. haha. Looks like a black friday deal on a new angle grinder is happen too.

college mancollege man

Perfect excuse for a new tool. Keep us posted on your progress.

Vlad2Vlad2
            Participant

I got the big pry bar out and recharged the sawzall and got it out. Once it was out and I got the new strut in the top and the spring was seated right. I used the trusty floor jack and got the bottom control are and shot and spring all happy. Then used a grade 8 bolt, washer, locker washer and nut with some red loctite and put it all back together. Then torque spec’d it.

Thanks for your help

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…