Menu

2017 Kia Sportage Random Power Loss

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 2017 Kia Sportage Random Power Loss

• Creator
    Topic
    Dave HDave H
    Participant

Every once in awhile, when I turn the car off and take the key out, the car loses all power…like the battery has been taken out. After about 1-3 minutes, suddenly the power is back and all is well. There is no trends of when this happens…could be cold, hot, rainy, sunny, etc. Additionally, every once in awhile while I am driving, the radio shuts down and restarts. A mechanic friend of mine said it could maybe be the Smart Junction Box located inside the car…but the part is very expensive to just “try” to repair and hope that is fixes the issue. Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks.

• This topic was modified 3 years ago by Dave HDave H. Reason: spelling
    Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

If as you state the car loses ALL power I would star looking at the main feed(s) and ground(s) and work back towards the power distribution center.
        Could be a loose or faulty connection somewhere along there or as your friend says it could be the Smart Junction Box starting to fail.

Dave HDave H
        Participant

If it was a loose connection I would think that something would happen while I was driving and things are moving around. The radio does shut down, but other than that the car drives just fine while running. Is there a way to “test” the junction box, or is it just trial by error?

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
          Participant

Keep in mind high power connection(s) if loose can arc together but can brake open again once power is removed.
            You could remove the box and disassemble it to look for corrosion or cracked solder joint(s) pr perhaps loose crimps on the wiring or signs of burnt traces on the PCB.
            But if the trouble is with the electronics ( faulty processor or the likes ) that becomes much more involved and requires specific tooling and skill set.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…