Menu

4runner steering wheel off center

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 4runner steering wheel off center

• Creator
    Topic
    Mark ChoquetteMark Choquette
    Participant

Hi,
      I have a 2007 4runner Sport V8. I had the alignment done. Prior to the alignment the steering wheel was slightly off center to the right. I had told the alignment shop this. I now got it back and I see that the steering wheel is now off center to the left. Instead of playing with the alignment as it is set correctly, can I just disconnect the steering column’s 13mm bolts and pull it out of the power steering input shaft then straighten the steering wheel and reconnect?

Thanks,

Mark

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jeffrey VoightJeffrey Voight
      Participant

You might want to take it back again and insist it be diagnosed and adjusted correctly. Of you make the steering wheel straight on your own, it may still be out of alignment, and you can go through a pair of tires in a hurry. Another option is to take it into a different alignment shop and hopefully get it done right the first time. It may cost you again, but at least you’ll know it’s properly aligned.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
        Participant

Odd, every shop I’ve ever gotten an alignment centered the steering then adjust the alignment.

Mark ChoquetteMark Choquette
          Participant

I called them and I have an appointment Monday. Weird, they asked me if it was crooked on all roads. I understand that the steering could be slightly off on highways as they are angled for water drainage but still.

MichaelMichael
            Participant

It’s also present in my FJ Cruiser. I would suggest you should go back to the shop and tell them that they should at least consider crowning of the road for the alignment figures. Usually, a 0.50º more caster on the passenger side can compensate for it.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…