Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 7th gen accord fuel consumption woes

7th gen accord fuel consumption woes

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 7th gen accord fuel consumption woes

• Creator
    Topic
    ian silvaian silva
    Participant

Hi.. Hoping for help on getting this fixed.
      I have an 05 accord, i4, Automatic. Just over 135,000 miles. MPG has been declining for the last few months. When I bought the car I was getting around 17.6MPG and now Currently at about 12MPG. Things I’ve done so far is listed below. No codes found, does not show a rich or lean code, STFT is between +7 to +10 at idle.
      Changed front and rear o2 sensors with Denso (O2 and LAF sensor)
      cleaned throttle body
      Changed Map sensor
      New air filter
      New PCV Valve
      new NGK spark plugs
      Injectors cleaned
      Engine oil is Castrol 5w20
      transmission fluid changed with honda dw1, less than 3000 miles back
      I run on 91 octane fuel (the lowest available where I live)
      smoke tested for vacuum leaks multiple times, and a few were found, all fixed.
      IAC valve rerouted and blocked off (as I thought it might be feeding excess air into the intake, bypassing the MAP sensor)
      Tires are filled to 35PSI all around.
      The average ambient temperature where I live is about 104 degrees Fahrenheit
      Nothing I do seems to make it better, just progressively worse. The engine idles at around 800rpm, Runs smoothly, and has no hesitation, no jerking, or anything weird. No black smoke out of the exhaust, no water in oil or anything like that. Even checked to see if the fuel is leaking out, but didn’t find anything. please help… Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

If there was a performance issue the CEL would likely be on. If it’s not, the the type of fuel being used, driving habits, or ambient conditions are the most likely cause. The use of AC does effect fuel economy BTW.

Know that altering the engine, like blocking off the idle passage can effect fuel economy. The less you mess with it the better. Also, I highly recommend OE parts whenever possible.

You might also find this info helpful. http://ericthecarguy.com/faq/finding-and-fixing-the-causes-of-poor-mpg

Good hunting

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…