Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 96 Tracker auto trans shifting question

96 Tracker auto trans shifting question

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 96 Tracker auto trans shifting question

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Robert Siegfried Rob 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    Robert Siegfried
    Rob
    Participant

I have a ’96 Geo Tracker that is often used to climb mountains or drive in sand. When used as a daily driver it shifts perfectly. In hot weather while going up steep rocky hills in low range and high temperatures or when it climbed Pikes Peak it begins to up-shift hard and will start to hunt. Once back on level ground it seems fine and as a daily driver it works great with no sign of slipping or hard shifting.

When we got it 8 months ago I added a trans cooler, changed all of the fluids, pulled the trans pan and cleaned the filter. It seemed clean already and there were no signs of metal or sludge. I believe the previous owners maintained it well. Since this happened I added 6 oz of Lucas additive. I noticed that the fluid was slightly cloudy but not at all dark. There is no burned smell.

I am assuming churning or foaming in the converter is to blame. I am guessing that the churn interferes with power delivery and possibly the valves tell it when to shift. I put it in a lower gear and it does work fine. It is probably heating up a bit too. I am often at high altitudes too.

My questions are 1- Am I right about the churning affecting the shift? 2- Is there any grade, brand of trans oil or additive that will resist the foaming or temperature better? 3-Is the trans busted?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Loading…