Menu

98-02 Acura RL VSA/ABS Lights

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 98-02 Acura RL VSA/ABS Lights

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    Mark GMark G
    Participant

Hi Eric and Forum,

Long time fan, first time poster here. My mother has a 2000 Acura RL. Recently we did some maintenance on it to clear a check engine light for a leaky gas cap (small evap. leak). Due to a software bug on this generation of RLs, the ABS/VSA systems started throwing bogus codes (9-7, 9-8) after we cleared the codes in memory. Now, I’ve tried the manual VSA reset procedure, but the lights keep coming back on. Sometimes the lights go out after driving for a bit, but randomly come back on later. A rescan of the system using my obd2 reader shows codes for both front ABS/Speed sensors. I’m not sure if these are bogus codes or not at this point. I don’t want to throw money at new parts if these are false alarms. Any experienced suggestions would be very helpful. Let me know if more information is required. Vehicle mileage is 172k. No VSA/ABS issues until the CEL was cleared using scanner.
      Cheers!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Calvin MCalvin Ming
      Participant

Hello Eric and Forum,

I own 3 RL’S (Son ’03, Daughter ’04, and Mine ’04) and after a lot of work, they all run and drive great, EXCEPT. They all have the VSA lights on and at times you can hear the weird noises the system can make. My Son’s is the only one showing the ABS light on as well. I have gone thru the power steering lines and reservoirs for leaks and filled them to the recommended lines. No leaks! Used a code reader and nothing. My Son’s does flash and have counted the number 6 and 9.
        They all have had the rack and pinion serviced or replaced, Steering wheels taken off (reset clock springs to correct positions), and power steering pumps rebuild.
        How do I get the VSA lights to go away? Where do I look?
        Thanks in advance

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…