Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • 99 Acura intermittent engine "quits" while driving

99 Acura intermittent engine "quits" while driving

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here 99 Acura intermittent engine "quits" while driving

• Creator
    Topic
    Patrick BreenPatrick Breen
    Participant

137,000 miles, Plugs (100,000) good. Changed 36,000 mi ago. Clean air cleaner. Past fault P1676 (FPT DR Signal Line Failure(??). This engine failure FIRST occurred over a year ago. Car started back up. Several months later the same. Now it happens about every 10 days. The first indication of failure is the fuel gauge dropping to zero. Able to glide to the side of road and restart. Googled the TOPIC several different variations with no luck. HELP.
      Thanks

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jeff KelleyJeff Kelley
      Participant

Have you replaced your fuel filter? Another think to check is pump, which often is in the fuel tank connected to your fuel level meter. If your gauge tells you that you are suddenly empty, that’s a good place to look. Do you see a check engine light? It could be an intermittent electrical fault, but it sounds more like something in your fuel delivery system. Hey, I’m not Eric, but I have experienced fuel problems in the past.

Jeffrey VoightJeffrey Voight
        Participant

One possibility is a power supply problem to the fuel pump. If the fuel gage goes to 0, that may indicate that your pump\sending unit lost power. This could be caused by a short in the wiring. It is intermittent so it may be harder to trace. Wouldn’t hurt to check the fuel pressure though. The sending unit sends the return voltage on a separate circuit so you would want to find out where the circuit for the fuel pump and sender coinside. It could also be a short in the pump sender unit. Another possibility is that the fuel gage goes to empty simply because the engine died and turned off power to the gage. You could check all battery and charging system cables for good clean connections and be sure to check the ground side also. And then we don’t want to rule out the possibility of a bad crank sensor. They can intermittently fail especially when hot.

Jeff KelleyJeff Kelley
          Participant

That is a great diagnosis, Mr. Voight. This problem seems quite repetitive and the failures are happening more frequently. To me, it seems like some sort of fault that builds over time. That is why I thought of a clogged fuel filter. We agree that a faulty pump or sending unit could also be the cause. Howbeit, intermittent electrical faults do not happen on a regular basis as far as something that happens every 10 days or so. It would happen whenever something caused a wire to flex or when a component shifted or overheated. It is a quandary.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…