Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Aftermarket Radio Installation in 00′ Chevy Cav

Aftermarket Radio Installation in 00′ Chevy Cav

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Aftermarket Radio Installation in 00′ Chevy Cav

• Creator
    Topic
    Matt BrandsemaMatt Brandsema
    Participant

I am installing an after market radio in my brothers 2000 Chevy Cavalier. I have the wiring diagram, except there is one discrepancy. The radio has a wire for “IGNITION +12V” but there is no wire for this going to the stock radio. I read that I will have to run a wire from the ignition switch to the radio. But I am unsure of which wire to run. If anyone could help me out with a wiring diagram and tell me which one I need to run to the radio that would be awesome!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Lord IhcalamLord Ihcalam
      Participant

did you already cut the harness? if not dont, and go to a stereo shop or crutchfield.com and get a harness adapter you wire it into the aftermarket deck wiring and it just plugs into the vehicle wiring. makes it so much simpler.

college mancollege man

There had to have been a 12v switched ignition source.other wise
          the radio would be on all the time.does the old radio have any
          markings in regards to wiring.You could use a test light and check
          for a keyed 12v source on the harness or post a wiring diagram of
          what you got and what you had.

Participant

[quote=”Lord Ihcalam” post=43164]did you already cut the harness? if not dont, and go to a stereo shop or crutchfield.com and get a harness adapter you wire it into the aftermarket deck wiring and it just plugs into the vehicle wiring. makes it so much simpler.[/quote]

I did not cut the harness yet, but I just checked crutchfield.com and they didn’t seem to have a harness that I could use.

[quote=”college man”]
            There had to have been a 12v switched ignition source.other wise
            the radio would be on all the time.does the old radio have any
            markings in regards to wiring.You could use a test light and check
            for a keyed 12v source on the harness or post a wiring diagram of
            what you got and what you had.[/quote]

Here is the wiring diagram.
            http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/Lejungst/2007-11-26_153257_radio.jpg

The stock stereo doesn’t turn off when the car is turned off. It only turns off when you open the door. I believe that the wire to the BCM controls this and when the BCM sees that the door is opened, it turns off the radio. I am wondering if I can connect this to the “IGNITION +12V” wire on the aftermarket radio. I am guessing I would only need to see if the BCM is supplying 12V prior to the door being opened.

Thoughts?

Lord IhcalamLord Ihcalam
            Participant

you may have to have a special control box. i think the chimes work through the stereo too. well the did in my sister’s 03 cav. you might want to check with a stereo shop in your area to see what is necessary.

failing that get yourself a good test light. and separate the wires into 3 groups forward speakers rear speakers and power/ground/dimmer/anteanna (amp remote) If he doesnt mind having to shut off the tunes manually every time you could completely bypass the vehicle wiring, and direct connect the stereo to the battery. I made my sister pay a shop to do her car, but i did my fathers 03 avalanche in the driveway with my brother. shows how horrid cavs are

Vlad2Vlad2
              Participant

Start by going here: http://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=993 I have used them for several installs (2 GM, 1 Honda and 1 Subaru). They also have the antenna adapter you will need.

If you need to call them, they should help you out. If they don’t, try a local car stereo shop or call crutchfield, there phone people will help you get what you need because they want the accessory sale. Pump them for knowledge then look elsewhere if the price is too high.

As stated above, GM runs everything through the radio, so usually an adapter is needed which here starts at about 80 bucks. I have installed 3 or 4 radios in GM’s and the adapter is def. needed.

The adapter’s wires are color coded like the wires coming off the back of the stereo. A little bit of splicing and soldering the adapter onto the wires off the stereo and you are good to go.

Another tip, ensure that your car doesn’t have an antenna booster. My Subaru has one and it needs power. I used the power from the “power antenna” feed off the radio to power this lead on the adapter as per the instructions and it worked like a charm. Not having this hooked and the radio didn’t pick up.

Biggest tip, NEVER cut the wires on a stereo install, buy the adapter needed. It saves a huge headache.

TravisTravis
                Participant

Cavs do require a wire to the ignition. If that seems to challenging u can tie the constant to the ignition wire and to the cars 12volt constant. Your face plate would have to be removed to avoid a parasitic draw. I would do it the right way but you can get away with it

college mancollege man

by looking at the print.The purple BCM to A1 looks like the switched 12v
                    confirm this with a test light or meter.

TravisTravis
                    Participant

Again agree with college man

Participant

[quote=”Vlad2″ post=43173]Start by going here: http://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=993 I have used them for several installs (2 GM, 1 Honda and 1 Subaru). They also have the antenna adapter you will need.

If you need to call them, they should help you out. If they don’t, try a local car stereo shop or call crutchfield, there phone people will help you get what you need because they want the accessory sale. Pump them for knowledge then look elsewhere if the price is too high.

As stated above, GM runs everything through the radio, so usually an adapter is needed which here starts at about 80 bucks. I have installed 3 or 4 radios in GM’s and the adapter is def. needed.

The adapter’s wires are color coded like the wires coming off the back of the stereo. A little bit of splicing and soldering the adapter onto the wires off the stereo and you are good to go.

Another tip, ensure that your car doesn’t have an antenna booster. My Subaru has one and it needs power. I used the power from the “power antenna” feed off the radio to power this lead on the adapter as per the instructions and it worked like a charm. Not having this hooked and the radio didn’t pick up.

Biggest tip, NEVER cut the wires on a stereo install, buy the adapter needed. It saves a huge headache.[/quote]

Would it really be a big deal to not use the adapter and lose the chime sounds? My brother says he doesn’t care if there are no chimes.

Lord IhcalamLord Ihcalam
                        Participant

depending on how the car is equipped it could trip the on board security system and not run. the message system might freak out, and the Check engine light might come on. you dont want to mess with computers they will make you have a bad day.

Vlad2Vlad2
                          Participant

[quote=”Lord Ihcalam” post=43199]depending on how the car is equipped it could trip the on board security system and not run. the message system might freak out, and the Check engine light might come on. you dont want to mess with computers they will make you have a bad day.[/quote]

Bingo, I wouldn’t risk it. This is a case of being penny wise and dollar foolish.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Car/outfitmycar/car.aspx

It seems they want 60 for the adapter.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_249SOCGM17/CRUX-SOCGM-17-GM-Factory-Integration-Interface.html

Participant

[quote=”Vlad2″ post=43226]This is a case of being penny wise and dollar foolish.[/quote]

I like that saying!

Thanks a LOT for the help everyone!

On a side note, when I was taking his dash apart to get to the radio, I noticed his dash trim panels were EXTREMELY brittle. Pieces were breaking off left and right and I was being VERY gentle! In fact, one of his dash covers actually split in half. (I am wondering if I can fix it with JB weld..) Why the hell is this happening? In my 98 Cavalier they were not this brittle at all! I am wondering how much I can buy these trim pieces at a junk yard…

TravisTravis
                              Participant

Here is a good product for fixing plastic car parts.

http://www.amazon.com/Bond-Repair-Small-Bonding-Adhesive/dp/B003YI421I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356715007&sr=8-1&keywords=Q+bond

Here is a video of a demonstration

Participant

Thanks a lot! Love Scotty Kilmer :]

Lord IhcalamLord Ihcalam
                                  Participant

ive found that heating the plastic up using a heat gun or hair dryer in a pinch, is a good way to make it a little more flexible and be able to be pulled on a little more without snapping. i know wont help you now but for future use…

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…