Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Any Heavy truck Mechanics here? Tool questions.

Any Heavy truck Mechanics here? Tool questions.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only Any Heavy truck Mechanics here? Tool questions.

• Creator
    Topic
    ryleyryley
    Participant

Well did a little job change, going to college in OCT for Heavy Duty. So I have been restructuring my tool box, I owned mostly metric up to 22/24MM.

I got my hands on a set of wrenches 1/4 – 1 1/2, angle wrenches 3/8- 1 1/2, SAE impact 3/8 drive, 1/2 drive with chrome 1/4 drive all full sets. Picked up some used 3/4 drive impact gun sockets 15/16-1 1/4, with 1 1/2, 1 5/8, 2 1/2. few extensions. I also got a cheap compete chrome 6 point set 15/16-2″.

So my questions are:

-Does heavy truck lean more to the SAE side then the metric?

-Is it a must have for 12 point sockets? If so what drive and SAE or metric? shallow and deep?

-8 point sockets, are they needed if so is there common sizes or a compete set?

-What oil change tools do you like/have? I picked up a nylon strap wrench/socket, and have some smaller oil filter tools. I hoping there is a bigger “claw” oil filter remover. I love the one I own for cars. Plus got to have the screw driver for pounding into filters.

-Is metric 1/2 swivels sockets useful in this trade?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      DaveDave
      Participant

Hi,
        Not much use for 8 point, other than budd wheel,
        diff and transmission plug, and to drive large taps.
        Wetherhead sockets or crows feet for fittings are handy.
        Metric is more common now. But differentials and transmissions that are made in the US were still imperial.
        Engine is mostly metric now.
        12 point is used on driveshaft straps, 12mm and 13mm 3/8 drive shallow impact. 1/2″ drive shallow 13/16″ 7/8″ for flywheel,
        there is the odd 15/16″ or other shallow impact for certain head bolts.
        Some 3/8″ drive used on fuel system or internal engine component.
        Cummins had some on the engine as well.
        Yes 1/2″ drive impact swivel and 3/8″ drive chrome and impact are very handy.
        As for oil filter. There are big pliers.
        I used a cup with a metal band, worked better than the cloth strap.
        One with a chain or homemade one with chain would be handy for real tight ones that you could swear were put on with a dry gasket and tightened with the band.
        The oversized channel lock pliers called “big azz” are handy for certian filters,
        for tight fuel caps and for holding other pieces.

ryleyryley
        Participant

Thanks. Sounds like I have most of the basics. I will wait in till I have a job in the field. I know I need a creeper, just saving up for a good one. Plus I have to pick up a 48″ pry bar. That should should set me up for awhile.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…