Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • AWD Conversion 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L

AWD Conversion 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Engine Modifications AWD Conversion 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L

• Creator
    Topic
    Edmund CottaEdmund Cotta
    Participant

Hello,

Planning an AWD Mod for my 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan. Seem none exist here in Hawaii in working condition since there were hardly any to begin with.

I have a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.8L with all features except a few that were mover included. It appears to have all mounting points and such.

Any ideas what alternative parts may be involved in part swapping. I’m sure the transmission is different and possibly an engine swap may be required.

Any information is welcome and appreciated. No neysayers please. I don’t care cost and not buying a new car.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Sam RoodmanSam Roodman
      Participant

You will need the awd shaft, pumpkin, and pto. I believe the entire rear end needs to be changed as well since I think the leaf configuration was different

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Edmund CottaEdmund Cotta
        Participant

Thank you for your reply.

Would you mind explaining what the pumpkin and pto is. Those are some new terms for me.

I figured as much that I’d have to change the rear shaft I’ll take a look at see if the leaf system is different and what else is different in rear.

Is there a different brace for the bottom of engine?

Any idea if the AWD transmission will direct mount to the engine and if I need a slightly different Axle?

Sam RoodmanSam Roodman
          Participant

Pto is the power take off its the chunk of the transmission connected to the rear drive shaft. The pumpkin is a slang term for the rear diff. This where your rear axles connect. I had a 97 with the 3.8 and there was nothing special about the engine. It bolted up to the awd transmission and my plan was for the day when the awd capped finally to just ditch all the awd trans and get a fwd trans and rear end set up

Edmund CottaEdmund Cotta
            Participant

Is the pto the same as the PTU or Power Transfer Unit?

What about the front Axle is it different from an AWD vs a FWD?

What about the bottom Brace mine has a hole in it. I can snap a picture. But do I possibly need a separate version for AWD?

My only other questions is the TCU software any different on an AWD? I do know for the most part the system is plug and play.

Sam RoodmanSam Roodman
              Participant

Ptu yes..sorry my autocorrect like pto over ptu. I believe front axles are same but I would verify using a dodge parts site. I never explored a special tcu so that I can’t help there since to my knowledge the awd system was vacuum driven not electrical persay

Edmund CottaEdmund Cotta
                Participant

Thank you for your support.

I got ahold of an AWD 1997 DGC 3.8L. It was stated to have transmission problems but didn’t care since rlice was right. 3 quarts of universal transmission fluid and 70miles I got her home without much issue other than the stupid map sensor acting up.

***Main Point***

I went to change the stupid Serpentine belt on it since it tore a rib on the belt.

Got off the old with no problem but the new belt I just couldn’t get enough slack to slide it on.

Seems there is too much tension and it skips like sting cheese and spaghetti at the power steering pulley.

Any suggestions what to look at?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…