Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • B16a 1st Gen low rpm misfire under load

B16a 1st Gen low rpm misfire under load

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here B16a 1st Gen low rpm misfire under load

• Creator
    Topic
    JacJac
    Participant

I have a CRX with a B16a 1st Gen OBD0. It has developed a misfire under load at low rpm. When revs are at about 1500rpm, I put my foot down say 20% throttle, it misfires once or twice until revs climb to 2500rpm, then will rev without missing all the way to redline. The misfire doesn’t happen in neutral. Compression seems to be fine, no dramatic loss in power but about 10% more fuel consumption. ECU not throwing any codes. Found oil in the distributor, TDC magnetic sensor – pulled it all apart and cleaned thoroughly – made no difference to misfiring. Recently replaced timing belt, plugs and adjusted valves. Does this sound like the compression, fuel or ignition problem? What should I check? Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks 🙂

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dreamer2355dreamer2355
      Participant

Misifres are usualy down to ignition issues. Do you have the tools to stress the ignition system under load?

Third GearThird Gear
        Participant

Right, and for #2 I would say fuel issues. Maybe the fuel pressue is slightly out of spec or the regulator isn’t working properly and it only misses with specific conditions.

Check ignition system and fuel first.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
          Participant

+1 on check the fuel pressure an stress testing the ignition system.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

Honda misfires under load are almost always ignition related. It is very important that you use the correct parts on the ignition system of that engine, NGK or Nippon Denso plugs only, NGK or OE wires only, OE cap and rotor are great but less of an issue than the other parts in my experience. Given that you already had oil in the distributor that’s not a good sign, it usually means you need to replace the sub assembly but once again OE parts here are a must, I’ve seen tons of problems with aftermarket distributors for Hondas. Here is a video on how to find ignition voltage leaks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-U9WqJfaJs

Uros KocjancicUros Kocjancic
              Participant

Hi, have you figured out what was the issue?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…