Menu

belt squeal

• Creator
    Topic
    asetoftoolsasetoftools
    Participant

hey there. Have a bit of belt squeal on the PS / AC belt. There is a tensioner as well. Sprayed water, the sound completely and immediately goes away. Belt was replaced aprox 3 years, 30k km ago.

I thought the sound was coming from the tensioner, so replaced it last weekend (it was $16 so no big deal). Sound still exists. I know that the water indicates that its a pulley misalignment or a bad belt. I have another belt that i plan on swapping on. Other than that, I am not sure how i fix pulley misalignment… i’d probably take it in after this but maybe someone has another idea about it. I got this info from pulley inspection videos on youtube. No pulley has any play, they look pretty straight, belt does not wobble. do not make any sounds when turning them by hand.

car has 240k and is a kia magentis 2003

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

see if this helps.

asetoftoolsasetoftools
        Participant

well erics video covered everything i already knew really. I found this video below to be a bit more informative than erics and its what i was basing my diag on.

however i think at this point i will try changing the belt and report back. Hopefully I have some time this weekend and the weather is ok enough.

college mancollege man

keep us posted on your progress.

asetoftoolsasetoftools
            Participant

was the belt. Even though it only had 30k on it. The noise has not returned 1 month later.
              Could have been the first time i installed it i didn’t get the tension right. Infact i know i didnt, because i didnt have a tension gauge (Cricket) at the time and so just did it randomly. So this i suppose led to premature belt wear and the noise. A simple $5 belt later and my wife is happy. Didn’t even bother buying the top of the line gates one this time 🙂 I believe the new one was acdelco.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…