Menu

Best diesel scanner?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only Best diesel scanner?

• Creator
    Topic
    BrettBrett
    Participant

Any of you guys have experience with a scanner that’ll do service regens, reductant fluid quality tests and such on GM trucks/vans?
      I’ve read, read and read some more on different ones from Autel, Launch, Snap On, Auto Enginuity etc.
      One of the guys I work with has a Matco Maxme and it hasn’t done a single regen I’ve asked it to do.
      I work at a dealer but, I am tired of waiting for the Tech2 and MDI plus, I would like the ability to do other makes as well.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JustinJustin
      Participant

I have a snap on solus ultra. It has very limited gm diesel capability. I’m now two updates behind and not forking the money over for the updates. Usually I just use the tech2 also but it’s hard finding them cause the guys usually hide the two of them we have -_-

I am really intrigued and wanting to try the full auto enginuity set up. The matco/Autel I demoed from the truck was kind of disappointing also. For the money for updates I can almost buy the complete AE set up less the ability to program I believe for what it would cost me to update my solus.

I bought mine due to all the research I did and two different snappy reps I talked with had told me the solus would do it all for the most part. Even though we are a gm dealer we tend to see plenty of Asian and euro/Germans roll through. So I myself am looking at a different set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott OsborneScott Osborne
        Participant

I’ve found AUtoEnginuity works for just about everything I need when it comes to Ford Diesels. I would imagine if the Ford service pack includes these abilities then the GM pack should support the Regen test for the D-max. AE is loved by Powerstrokes techs everywhere.

BrettBrett
          Participant

Yeah, the AE seems to be a safer and more cost effective alternative, I just can’t find anything on the web confirming that someone has had it work.
            I tried out the Verus Edge? off the tool truck, and it seemed to kick the truck into a regen. Supposedly, the latest updates expanding their coverage of diesels greatly according to the truck guy and a snap on rep.

Participant

I did a search and I did find a thread where someone claiming to be a GM tech says that AE will command a regen. Like I said it will work with the the fords no problem so I don’t see why it won’t work with duramax’s. Have you tried emailing AE to ask? They have pretty good customer support. Also they do tend to add things if the customer base requests them enough.

JustinJustin
              Participant

I’ve emailed them once and they just referred me to part of the site that shows the coverage of the vehicles.

Participant

This is an excerp from a post by a GM master tech.

There is another option but it requires a scan tool, like the shop ones or a tool that connects to the USB on the computer such as http://www.autoenginuity.com that will command a service regeneration that you can do in your driveway. This is the option that will work. the system may not respond well to being run on a dyno or something because of the front wheel speed sensors and also the fact that the engine is not working very hard.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/7ehym-chevrolet-silverado-hi-guys-i-m-getting-quite-time.html#ixzz3qLKqWCZ5

I’ll bet it will command a regen. If I had the GM extended package I would go find a d-max to test it on for you, but I only have the Ford extended

BrettBrett
                  Participant

I went with the Snap On Ethos Tech for work and Auto Enginuity for home. Haven’t used AE much yet but damn I love that Ethos Tech. I’ve only found 1 thing it wouldn’t do (Nox Sensor Reset).

JustinJustin
                    Participant

Guy at work just bought a solus edge. I’m doing an nox sensor on a bus tomorrow so I’ll borrow it and see if it will command the regen. If it does I may go ahead and do the update. I still would really like to find someone with the AE software and play with it locally.

wafrederickwafrederick
                      Participant

The newest Matco scan tool out now will do diesels and is wireless.My Matco dealer has customer that is a diesel mechanic whom had the Snap On working at a Ford dealership.Tried this new Matco scan tool and said it out does the Snap On.The newest Matco scan tool was designed by someone whom worked for Snap On diagnostics hired by Matco.There is the cheap version of the Tech 2,chinese made and is good as the real deal.Biggest thing is you don’t ever have updates installed in it,will crash if you have updates installed and you throw it away.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…