Menu

bleeding coolant without funnel

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here bleeding coolant without funnel

• Creator
    Topic
    ronaldronald
    Participant

I dont have one of those funnels which Eric uses and to be honest, I dont really want to buy one as its not something Im going to do a lot.

Just wanted to share a video from utube so I can get some opinions:

Is that something that will work for all cars? the overflow tank is above the radiator in that car, but what if it was at the same level? I’m wanting to bleed the cooling system on a 2009 mazda2

I was thinking, I could either go to the wreckers and get another rad cap then cut off the valve or just keep the radiator cap off and use duct tape to cover the radiator and let it bleed using the overflow tank.

any optinions? suggestions?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      CharlesCharles
      Participant

Eric’s funnel has some nice features to keep from wasting coolant (valve in the bottom) but like you I would not buy one. I would lean toward finding a piece of rubber hose (rubber or vinal) that will fit the insice diameter of the radiator fill opening then insert a regular funnel with the appropriate taper inside to seal. Should work fine since it is not under pressure. You can siphon off the excess coolant when you are ready to reinstall the cap.

college mancollege man

just run the coolant level a little low to prevent
          spill over while bleeding.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

You don’t need the funnel it just makes things easier. Just place a pan under the radiator to catch any coolant that might bubble out and do the same procedure as in my video. I usually don’t fill the radiator all the way when I do this without a funnel so that it doesn’t bubble out as much. When the fans kick on I fill the radiator the rest of the way and you’re done.

ronaldronald
            Participant

thanks guys.

so we let it rev until the cooling fan turns on, do you top it off whilst the car is on idling? or do you let it cool first? (i assume the volume will ‘shrink’ when cold?)

college mancollege man

The best way is to top it off when cold.let it sit over night.
                check the coolant bottle first.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

Top it off while it’s idling as shown in the video. You’re doing the same thing just without the funnel. Recheck the overflow after a day or so, you may need to top it off a little more.

PengyPengy
                  Participant

What I also suggest is to squeeze the upper radiator hose (wear some gloves, they get hot) after the engine has warmed up and is idling to force the air in the system out by giving bursts of pressure. Also check to see if you have some bleed screws in the coolant lines somewhere. (The Chevy 3800 v6 in your video has them)

SDMAN1981SDMAN1981
                    Participant

I bought the funnel to add to my tool collection, and I must say it was 25 bucks well spent, even though I’ve only used it twice. Not one drop of coolant was spilled on my garage floor. Love it.

ronaldronald
                      Participant

thanks guys, ive been doing it as eric suggested and yeah, topped it off at the end. so far only demineralised water in the system, as i cleaned it out completely, but will put coolant in it tomorrow.

re topping up overflow a couple of days later, just trying to understand it all – is that because when engine cools down after a drive it will suck coolant from the overflow if there is any ‘air’ present?

also, does anyone know if coolant flush (alkaline salts) is corrosive. i spilt some on the engine and im sure it got onto plastic bits and maybe even some rubber grommets

college mancollege man

flush any spillage with plenty of water.

stingray66stingray66
                          Participant

love the old t bird in the back round in Eric,s video As for the Funnel I find that amazon had the best price I get a lot of tools On amazon for a really good price

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…