Menu

Blend Door Actuator not working

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Blend Door Actuator not working

• Creator
    Topic
    AndrewAndrew
    Participant

For the 3rd time in 2 years Ive had to change the blend door actuator on my 2012 Avenger. The other 2 had the plastic gears melt, this latest just stopped working. I thought the motor died. Well the new one doesnt work either. I tested the power and got 0 volts from the connector. Funny thing, the other controls on the same control knob work. The same knob you press in for the AC and set the auto temperature. It blows straight cold with the AC on and auto temp turns off or changes cold at different setting. I learned in school if 1 thing on the same circuit works then its not the circuit. This doesnt seem the case. The new actuator set the door at centre so it blows a comfortable tempurature, however with it being winter in Canada it takes a long time to reach that. Any ideas what to check next? Im at a loss.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

If there is no power to the actuator when commanded, you need to work backwards to the next source.
        check any fuses.

AndrewAndrew
        Participant

There is no fuse on the blend door actuator. It was the 1st thing I checked. All the other circuits are working fine, as did the old blend door actuator until it just stopped. I have the circuit outlay herr and everything else on it works fine, including stuff on the same knob like the auto temp heat and AC switch. This blend door actuator is the only thing that doesnt and since the old one didnt die of the annoying tick tick tick tick I have a feeling it wasnt defective, the circuit just stopped.
          Im at a loss because Ive checked everything I learned it auto technician class and it all works. Short of cutting the wires and putting on a new plug, I even tried an ohms test on the actuator as it has a volt sensor. Its getting colder by the day here in Canada, not sure how much longer this “comfortable” heat its blowing out will last.

college mancollege man

Unfortunately I have know diagnostics here. Check the back of the controls for any board burns.
            you may be at the mercy of a dealership or garage to do diagnostic.

AndrewAndrew
            Participant

Ok, thanks for the idea to check the board on the switch. It is entirely possible only 1 control burnt out. Ive seen it happen often with computers. Admittedly Im much more experienced with those. I’ll try to find a warm garage and pull it out.

college mancollege man

Keep us posted on your progress.

AndrewAndrew
                Participant

A new symptmon has come up and leads me to believe the control module is gone. Now when I start my car it will move from the defrost to the dash or floor vents. I keep it on defrost. I have to move the knob to wherever then back to the defrost. So these doors work obviously, but all on their own.

college mancollege man

Try and find one at a salvage yard or online used.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…