Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Brief Rattle on Cold Start – 2010 Corolla 1.8L

Brief Rattle on Cold Start – 2010 Corolla 1.8L

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Brief Rattle on Cold Start – 2010 Corolla 1.8L

• Creator
    Topic
    Kala BankroKala Bankro
    Participant

I have a 2010 1.8L Toyota Corolla with 86000 miles that makes a brief (~ 1 second) rattle sound on a cold start (no matter the time of day). When it started making the brief rattle about a year and a half ago, it would only make the rattle in the morning when it’s cold. Now I only have to turn off the engine for about half an hour and I get the rattle. Here’s a video of what it sounds like: https://youtu.be/txgnd–QmmM

I had the transmission replaced with a salvage unit about a year ago. My previous mechanic replaced a leaking crankshaft oil seal and did a transmission fluid change. He used “Shell Spirax S2 ATF D2” instead of Toyota WS. Clutch started slipping (high revs before shifting) about ten minutes after I took the car from the shop, and the Check engine, ABS, Traction Control, and VSC lights came on.

My current mechanic says I only need to replace the camshafts and that if I wait too long to do this, the timing chain might “jump” and wreck the engine. However, I looked it up and it sounds like T-SB-0041 and the recommended repair is to replace the camshaft timing gear assembly. I have two questions.

1. Is my mechanic’s diagnosis correct?
      2. Can I just live with this without damaging the engine? Based on my experience with my previous mechanic, I’d rather not let him open up the engine.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Billy AndrewsBilly
      Participant

Lot of background noise. You sure it’s not just a heat shield? Have you pinpointed the noise with a stethoscope or hose?

Kala BankroKala Bankro
        Participant

I have not used hose or stethoscope but the rattle is exactly like in this video (better sound): https://youtu.be/FzzboZDObbs?t=30

Billy AndrewsBilly
          Participant

Sounds like that TSB is for you. Fun project!

Zac AleksovskiZac Aleksovski
            Participant

Sounds like a cam phaser. They have a pin that keeps the phaser locked until oil pressure builds then the ecm can control cam timing. If the noise is getting worse, maybe the pin or the bore it engages to is getting worn. I think this is a big issue with Ford Triton engines. I didn’t look at the TSB in one of the replies but might pertain to this.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…