Topic
    Fra5erFra5er
    Participant

Quoted From celticbhoy: _x000D_
      _x000D_
      I would love to own a mk1 mini.

_x000D_
      _x000D_
      Mini Cooper old style, doesn’t need to be mark 1 for me but the old style when a mini meant mini

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Red MorrisRed Morris
      Participant

I’m not patriotic at all, yet the 3 cars I would go out and buy straight away if I won the lottery are all British.

Lotus Esprit GT3
        Lotus Elise S2
        TVR Sagaris

Red MorrisRed Morris
        Participant

I’m not patriotic at all, yet the 3 cars I would go out and buy straight away if I won the lottery are all British.

Lotus Esprit GT3
          Lotus Elise S2
          TVR Sagaris

Mike GrahamMike Graham
          Participant

My first ever car was a Triumph TR6. I conned my parents by saying it would last longer than a Mini as it had a separate chassis! I had a real love/hate relstionship with it. Loved it when it was running properly, hated it when something broke. 34 years on, it’s still in my garage but in need of restoration. Can’t bear to part with it.

Mike GrahamMike Graham
            Participant

My first ever car was a Triumph TR6. I conned my parents by saying it would last longer than a Mini as it had a separate chassis! I had a real love/hate relstionship with it. Loved it when it was running properly, hated it when something broke. 34 years on, it’s still in my garage but in need of restoration. Can’t bear to part with it.

302MGB302MGB
              Participant

Love TR6’s – but don’t just restore it, improve it. Check out some of these for inspiration… http://www.britishv8.org/Photos-Triumph-Conversions.htm. Especially this one… http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/CalvinGrannis.htm

302MGB302MGB
                Participant

Love TR6’s – but don’t just restore it, improve it. Check out some of these for inspiration… http://www.britishv8.org/Photos-Triumph-Conversions.htm. Especially this one… http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/CalvinGrannis.htm

RyanRyan
                  Participant

Got to be an old mini preferably a mrk2 , would love one also would love to take the engine out and put a motor bike engine in

RyanRyan
                    Participant

Got to be an old mini preferably a mrk2 , would love one also would love to take the engine out and put a motor bike engine in

302MGB302MGB
                      Participant

Forget the bike motor — too many problems… only make torque at pretty high RPM’s makes for no fun driving heavier (than a bike) vehicle; no reverse so you have to use some other mechanism to be practical.

Lot’s of modern inline 4-cylinders would fit well. Honda, Nissan, etc. Check out this wild Mini with an Acura motor. http://www.britishv8.org/Other/MarkHeller.htm. Turbo it if the power to weight ratio isn’t enough for you w/o it.

302MGB302MGB
                        Participant

Forget the bike motor — too many problems… only make torque at pretty high RPM’s makes for no fun driving heavier (than a bike) vehicle; no reverse so you have to use some other mechanism to be practical.

Lot’s of modern inline 4-cylinders would fit well. Honda, Nissan, etc. Check out this wild Mini with an Acura motor. http://www.britishv8.org/Other/MarkHeller.htm. Turbo it if the power to weight ratio isn’t enough for you w/o it.

César MorganCésar Morgan
                          Participant

Gotta say, british cars are really hot… Just look at some examples, like McLaren, Morgan (this company makes old-fashoned cars, and I guess it was founded by my very ancient european family) or one of my favorites, the Mini Cooper (Yes, I know that they screwed up with that mini cooper SUV) but you have to addmit that, most renovations, best quality and greater performance (with the exception of McLaren) comes from the rest of europe, particulary from Italy and Germany. These guys really know how to make cars.

César MorganCésar Morgan
                            Participant

Gotta say, british cars are really hot… Just look at some examples, like McLaren, Morgan (this company makes old-fashoned cars, and I guess it was founded by my very ancient european family) or one of my favorites, the Mini Cooper (Yes, I know that they screwed up with that mini cooper SUV) but you have to addmit that, most renovations, best quality and greater performance (with the exception of McLaren) comes from the rest of europe, particulary from Italy and Germany. These guys really know how to make cars.

RowswellRowswell
                              Participant

I have a love / hate relationship.

1st car was a ’68 MGB bought in fall 73, so 4 1/2 years old – taught me a lot about working on cars – both body work and mechanical (,figure I had a 3:1 driving/fixing hours ratio), but a lot of fun driving around with the top down as long as you kept under @ 50 mph (too much noise & buffeting over that). Paid $500 for it, put over $1,000 in parts in it & sold it after 18 months to buy a reliable driver (a 75 Pinto I put 110,000 trouble free miles on that my dad, fed up with my always needing to borrow his car, lent me the money to buy…..). Still miss it & often think of buying another to revisit days gone by…….

In 1999 I bought a Jag 98 XJ8 VDP as an early lease return car. Still have it (my son is currently using it as his University drive) & still think it is one of the nicest looking cars on the road. Like the MG, its been a love/hate relationship. Based on the Jag forums I’m part of, I’m batting 1.000 on the things most likely to go wrong, but as I do my own work the cost hasn’t been horrific & it’s a great car to drive. Once over the gremlins, many due to bleeding edge engineering shared with BMW (lots of interchangeable parts), its been a reliable drive.

On a footnote though. My favourite car of all was a 1985 Saab 900T16

Andrew ButtonAndrew Button
                                Participant

I think that Shaguars are fine automobiles, particular E Types. Rest of the Limey stuff I don’t care much about really. Lotus Elise I think is stellar though and an Espirit like the one Roger Moore drove in the Spy who loved me was a slick autmobile at the time.

Thomas FerryThomas Ferry
                                  Participant

To be honest I am not super fond of British cars in general.I can admire there look and heck i wouldn’t mind driving a classic jag at one point but as for owning one I wouldn’t want to. There is a couple notable exceptions to this though. Im putting images into the post to show which i like.

The Morgan 3 Wheeler.

While not nesscarily a car it is a motorcycle but i love these all the same. BSA lightnings

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…