Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Budget Macpherson Strut Spring Compressor Tool Review

Budget Macpherson Strut Spring Compressor Tool Review

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG Suggestion Box Budget Macpherson Strut Spring Compressor Tool Review

• Creator
    Topic
    Alistair McClureAlistair McClure
    Participant

I was brought to ETGC instructional videos by a need for information on replacing the springs and struts on a Honda Accord. The ETCG video was just what I needed. However, those little spring compressors featured in the video were a bit tricky to use. Recently my Acura needed doing, and not being able to afford a proper shop-type compressor, looked for something cheap but more robust…. I got one of these

https://www.amazon.com/MOSTPLUS-MacPherson-Compressor-Interchangeable-Extractor/dp/B07CV6L57D/ref=sr_1_18?crid=Q33HGIEMH8RS&keywords=spring+compressor+tool&qid=1558788406&s=gateway&sprefix=spring+com%2Caps%2C221&sr=8-18

In the UK it is not even graced with a manufacturer’s name, it being from jolly old Communist China – all for one and one for all etc.

It is immensely strong and easy to use and within most people’s budgets. It is also much safer than the little spring compressors. On the downside mine was poorly finished in some areas, the threads for the security bolts needing cleaning up with a tap, and also the clearances on a couple of the jaws are a little narrow so I was obliged to use a hammer to encourage them in to the mounts.

It might make a good 5 minute product review, particularly for your Honda and Acura base who have to deal with those long, skinny, evil springs.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

Thank you for the suggestion. I’m not really doing tool reviews at this time. However, I did do this review where I mentioned the issues with spring compressors a while back which also has some helpful suggestions.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Alistair McClureAlistair McClure
        Participant

Ah yes.. I hadn’t seen that video. Interesting! I have a particular interest in spring compressors as I’ve built a couple for dealing with the mainsprings in air-rifles … I cracked a rib getting one out without one so I have respect for big springs! Best wishes, Alistair

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…