Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Caged string lights for garage lighting?

Caged string lights for garage lighting?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Caged string lights for garage lighting?

• Creator
    Topic
    My NameisMy Nameis
    Participant

So I recently moved into a house where the garage only has 2 light bulb sockets and the one equipped with the garage door opener.

All three don’t produce a nearly bright enough light output for working purposes.

The previous owners left behind a 100ft caged construction string lights.

Im thinking about mounting them along the top beam of the garage at the other end of the garage door and using them to light the space.

There’s 5 total in the string.

Now would it not make sense due to the amount of bulbs required and better to opt for some conventional chain hung fluorescents or led replacements or should it be adequate enough?

[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160905/dc1dde20fe389f3b86e80a55439d8116.jpg[/IMG]

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

As a cheap temporary measure, why not.

If you are going to be using the garage as a workshop, you’ll want to upgrade to better lighting eventually. Working under poor light conditions can make you hate the job. Those construction lights will use about 1/3 of their output to light the ceiling, which is useless to you. For the money, it’s hard to improve on plain old long-tube fluorescent fixtures with downward-reflecting hoods.

With a bit of research, you can plan your lighting upgrade in advance, and plan to place fixtures to minimize shadows. Few things are more frustrating than constantly working in your own shadow, despite having the garage lit up like a riverboat. If you splurge a bit and upgrade to “natural/sunlight” spectrum fluorescent tubes, you’ll be looking for excuses to spend time in the garage at night.

CollinCollin
        Participant

I had the same issue, I bought two fixtures that take two 4 foot T8 flourescent bulbs, and spaced them apart. I installed bulbs that give off an almost pure white color, and it’s plenty of light for me. They’re easy to install out of the box – screw in two hooks into the ceiling, install the bulbs, and plug in.

Rick AlbertRick Albert
          Participant

I have installed lighting on the garage door which results in smart garage door failure. I am not able to open it at all, do i need to call garage door repair expert or is there any another way to fix it.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…