Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Can anyone explain the Rock Auto shipping game?

Can anyone explain the Rock Auto shipping game?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Can anyone explain the Rock Auto shipping game?

• Creator
    Topic
    James P GrossoJames P Grosso
    Participant

First I want to state that I like Rock Auto, decent catalog and usually several choices of vendors and grades of parts at good prices, but their shipping charges/locations game drives me insane.
      I just did a quick experiment by selecting one of each oil filter listed for my wifes 2012 Kia Optima.
      For the first four filters selected they were being shipped from locations A, B, C, and D
      The fifth filter shipped from one of the same, but then I added another and ended up with 5 different shipping locations A through E after selecting six filters.
      Now here it gets interesting. Added more filters, and I am back to just four shipping locations.
      After adding all the filters listed for the car and the majority were coming from the “D” shipping location.
      I removed the filters from the A, B, and C shipping locations, and it looks like it worked correctly, that the previous “D” shipping location was going to ship the remaining filters from the same warehouse, So OK that looks good.
      Then I started removing filters from the list, and wouldn’t you know it, all of a sudden the remaining filters are again being shipped from two different warehouses?

This is irritating for the consumer. I won’t call it an outright scam, because I don’t know if Rock Auto actually controls the warehouses, and if some of the “warehouses” are just drop shipping for them and maybe they (warehouse) have order minimums that change the pricing and shipping?

Anyhow, If ordering parts from Rock Auto, I would recommend filling your cart with many more items than you plan to buy and see if their system will start shipping the parts you really want from the same location, then remove the parts you don’t want, but used to “fix” their shipping game.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      PaulPaul
      Participant

I had a similar reaction with my first time using RA for calipers that I couldn’t find locally, although I was hesitant because of the core charges. The warehouse designations (ABC…) seem arbitrary to me, and seemed to change when a new item was added to the cart. Also, there is an option (near the top of the page) that minimizes the shipping cost by displaying parts that are available from the same warehouse(s) for items in the cart. But, I had mixed results with parts availability using that feature too.

A friend (that was in the field) told me that RA doesn’t warehouse parts. It is an internet retailer that interfaces with parts suppliers and wholesalers, somewhat like the marketplaces on Amazon, Walmart, Sears, Best Buy, etc.

Slightly off topic. I used RA for return shipping of the cores because they had a far better shipping rate than I could get from UPS, USPS, and FedEx. The cost was discounted from the core fee refund.

MattMatt
        Participant

I ordered all new ignition parts for my Ranger when I realized it was running rough because it had engine code U parts on a code V engine. Anyway, I ordered the ignition coil pack on one order, then later ordered the plug wires and plugs. The plug options were only in 4 packs or singles, with 4 packs being cheaper per plug, but too much when you only need half a pack. So I ordered 1-4 pack, and 2 singles. I get the plug wires and 4 pack of plugs in one box, then two days later got the 2 single plugs. A bit annoying waiting two days for just two plugs, but only quirk after all the stuff I ordered from RA.

Jake FJake F
          Participant

Never tried an experiment like that and I’m not sure I’ve even seen an “E” shipping location. Although, I’d imagine it’s how the website’s algorithm is setup based on the association they have with each “warehouse”. Like you said, minimum $ amts ordered and is it worth the time for a carrier from location ‘x’ in a big city to drop off a part to location ‘y’ on the other side of the city? No clue, but logical. I’ve actually had part prices change on me after removing x part then re-adding that same part to my cart. It eventually worked itself out, but it was baffling to say the least.

RockAuto has never let me down with their quality control and competitive prices so I try not to think about it too much.

Nice food for thought.

zerozero
            Participant

[quote=”Hanneman” post=175675]A friend (that was in the field) told me that RA doesn’t warehouse parts. It is an internet retailer that interfaces with parts suppliers and wholesalers, somewhat like the marketplaces on Amazon, Walmart, Sears, Best Buy, etc. [/quote]

That sounds about right. It’s probably the only way they can sell the parts so damned cheap.

I worked at a medium shop that allowed us to buy parts at cost on their account if we COD’d it. It was STILL cheaper for many similar parts to come across the border from RockAuto than it was to buy locally at a presumably decent discount rate.

Except for this spring when I replaced my brakes at all 4 corners, scored $100 rotors for $30 on closeout, and someone forgot to include the appropriate paperwork and the one pair of rotors was delayed a day. But they resolved it right away. Still got them a day late despite paying through the nose for shipping.

Which reminds me, it’s time to order my yearly air filters.

James P GrossoJames P Grosso
              Participant

I still buy parts from them, and they also send out E-mails with closeout parts for my cars which are usually deeply discounted.
                It is just the shipping / warehouse thing that drives me crazy, but I can see why it happens. I’m just used to Amazon prime (yearly fee and free 2-day shipping on most items) and Summit Racing ($99 order and free shipping.)

My wifes car and my daughters car both use the same oil filter, so I just bought a case of the Wix heavy duty filters. I may cut one open to see how it compares to the others shown in theon-line videos.

Chad TaylorChad Taylor
                Participant

Rock auto, the guys that made me fall out of love with my local parts stores forever.

Nicholas ClarkNicholas Clark
                  Participant

[quote=”reaper556″ post=175981]Rock auto, the guys that made me fall out of love with my local parts stores forever.[/quote]

Yeah for some things RockAuto is hard to beat. My local NAPA is pretty good, though. Good parts at good prices. A lot of RA’s cheap stuff beats the Mid-Shelf stuff from NAPA, but if you compare Mid-Shelf to Mid-Shelf, RA is usually more expensive when you factor in shipping. Don’t get me wrong, I love RA, I have many magnets on my fridge, but it’s been a while since I have had a big order from them.

Chad TaylorChad Taylor
                    Participant

Your right. For singles or just a couple of parts I need now and don’t want to wait on I still get locally . They really are best for when your doing a big job like a 4 corner brake job or rebuilding a front end etc.

Graham HolmesGraham Holmes
                      Participant

|Looks like this is an old (ooolldd) thread. but it still is relevant. I’m from Canada and shipping game really makes me hold back on my purchases. I’m sure that parts came from different warehouses and i had one shipping charge to me across the border. Now they send from individual warehouses. so an example: rotors from one warehouse and pads from another came to one location and one charge to me say 50 bucks. Now its warehouse A 27 dollars and warehouse B 28 dollars total 55 dollars.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…