Menu

car boiling over with coolant in it

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here car boiling over with coolant in it

• Creator
    Topic
    cedric murphycedric murphy
    Participant

i have a 1979 350 buick park ave when i flush the system i drove the car for 3 days for the deep clean i replace the water pump the thermostat and change the cap during the time i drove for those 3 days the car did not run hot or boil over so as i replace the water with coolant and drove for about 15 mins it started to run hot and boil over why did this happen with the coolant and not with the water I live in ohio can you explain why thank you

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Considering the circumstances …
        My first question would be, did you properly bleed the system when you put the anti freeze in?

cedric murphycedric murphy
        Participant

no I didn’t nor did I bleed it when I adding the water and it ran fine no boil over and it did not run hot this all started when replace the water with coolant how do I go about bleeding the system could a bad heater control valve this I did have a tee on the hose while the water was it I flush the system also if the head gasket was bad wouldn’t coolant aand oil be mixing which it is not nor there is white smoke coming out im stump on this

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
          Participant

This should help:

Jake FJake F
            Participant

Water has a higher boiling tolerance than coolant in a closed system so either A. something happened to your 16psi cap, or B. Air was introduced into the system and your H20 pump doesn’t know what to do. Try idling the engine with cap off for 15-30 minutes with some manual revs and main hose squeezes. Head gasket issues are rare unless someone is driving in the red.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…