• Topic
  • CAR OVERHEATS WHEN DRIVEN FOR LONGER MILES

CAR OVERHEATS WHEN DRIVEN FOR LONGER MILES

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge CAR OVERHEATS WHEN DRIVEN FOR LONGER MILES

• Creator
    Topic
    GERMANGERMAN
    Participant

I have a 2002 Honda Accord 3.0L EX V6 with about 392,000+ miles. My sister drove the car and called me one day that the car overheated and she’s near the house. Told her to just drive the car home. The following day, checked the car and found out that one of the rubber hose has a leak. Replaced the hose and replace coolant using Radiator Coolant Filling Funnel Kit (you can see the coolant bubble come out). Run the engine for about 20+ minutes constantly checking the temp gauge. The gauge was normal, no coolant leak. My sister drove it to work and called me that the temp gauge was going up. Told her to bring the car back. Let the car cool down and checked the radiator and other leaks. The radiator is full of coolant and no leaks. Changed the thermostat (Honda dealer thermostat – expensive) and replaced coolant. Turned on the engine and let it run for about 30 mins. The temp gauge was normal. Drove the car for over five miles and the temp gauge started to go up but slowly. Turned back home. Changed the coolant temp sensor and repeat the process but still the temp gauge goes up when driven. The two cooling fans both works. Since mileage is close to 400K, I told my friend to replaced the timing belt (Aisin Timing Belt Kit with water pump) and told him about the overheating problem if he can check it out. He called me after installation that the car might have a cylinder head problem. Since it’s a V6 engine, he wanted me to replace the engine with a use one which is easier to do. The car runs fine, no engine smoke, no coolant in the motor oil (use Valvoline full synthetic oil) it just overheats when driven. Told him to check the cylinders compressions to see which cylinder(s) is/are defective and just replace the side with cylinder head problem. Just need advice what’s the right thing to do. Thanks!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Alex MckenzieAlex Mckenzie
      Participant

There are a lot of reasons as to why you are experiencing overheating during a long drive. You may check these aspects faulty thermostat, a plugged radiator, collapsed hoses, non-functioning cooling fans, and a faulty water pump or drive belt. If you can’t still find the culprit then it will be best to seek professional help.

GERMANGERMAN
        Participant

HAVE THIS PROBLEM BEFORE I HAD THE TIMING BELT/WATER PUMP CHANGED. BEFORE I HAD THE TIMING BELT CHANGED, I REPLACED THE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR, THERMOSTAT FROM THE DEALER. THE FANS ARE WORKING BUT HAVEN’T CHANGE THE RADIATOR. BEFORE THE OVERHEATING PROBLEM BY MY SISTER, THE TEMP GAUGE IS USUALLY BELOW THE HALF MARK (AROUND 3/8) ALWAYS. AFTER, IT’T AT HALF AND WHEN DRIVEN OVER 15 MILES+ THE TEMP GAUGE GOES UP THEN DOWN THEN UP AGAIN. TURN MY HEATER ON TO HELP DESIPATE THE HEAT AND GOES DOWN BUT ABOVE HALF. HAVE NOT REPLACE THE RADIATOR YET. MY FRIEND (USE TO WORK WITH HONDA DEALERSHIP) WAS INSTRUCTING TO DO LIKE: REPLACE THE THERMOSTAT, TEMP SENSOR, BLEED THE COOLANT, CHECK THE FANS IF WORKING, ETC. TOLD ME THAT I MIGHT HAVE A CYLINDER HEAD PROBLEM. TRYING TO GET OTHER IDEAS FROM THIS FORUM BEFORE I DECIDE TO HAVE MY CYLINDER HEAD FIX. THANKS!

Alex MckenzieAlex Mckenzie
          Participant

Will it be best if you consult a car mechanic then?

robert schroeckrobert schroeck
            Participant

change the radiator

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…