Menu

Charging and alternator question

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Charging and alternator question

• Creator
    Topic
    K McCaffertyK McCafferty
    Participant

Hi All,

I have a 2005 Honda Element. Very recently my car seemed sluggish starting, soon battery light came on which surprised me because it is fairly new. Shortly after that the abs light came on and then every warning light. Got it home ok started it one more time, it ran for a few seconds then shut off, no click or anything when I turn the key. I suspected maybe it wasn’t charging due to a tensioner that has been squealing and chattering for a while. I disconnected the battery (neg first) and put the charger on it. When it was at 12.9 I hooked up the pos but when I hooked up the neg it arced a bit, which in my limited experience, was unusual. I let it stay hooked up for a few seconds but saw smoke rising from near the alternator so immediately unhooked it. And there it sits in the snow covered driveway.
      I’m looking for next steps to take. I have only the most basic understanding of electrical but I do have a meter.

Thanks in advance,
      Mac

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

I would suggest you remove the alternator and have it bench tested.
        If a replacement is required, invest in a high quality unit.

K McCaffertyK McCafferty
        Participant

Thanks. Did that and I am now replacing the alternator. I thought I would take care of the tensioner while I was there but after removing the fasteners I am unable to get the tensioner off. Hopefully letting it sit overnight with some blaster it will come off tomorrow.

K McCaffertyK McCafferty
          Participant

Finally got everything back together. I understand now why Eric takes off the motor mount. Unfortunately with over a foot of snow on the ground that wasn’t an option for me. The toughest part for me was getting the new belt on. The tensioner was quite a pull for a 64 year old female.
            Anyway it’s charging well and no more squealing and chattering.
            Thanks.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
            Participant

Glad to hear you have it sorted out.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…