Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • "Chirping" noise at idle that stops when clutch pedal is lightly pressed

"Chirping" noise at idle that stops when clutch pedal is lightly pressed

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here "Chirping" noise at idle that stops when clutch pedal is lightly pressed

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    Gareth RandallGareth Randall
    Participant

My 2002 Ford Escape with manual transmission has started making a “chirping” noise at idle that at first I thought might be an exhaust leak, but all I have to do is just gently take up the slack in the clutch pedal and it stops. I don’t have to press the pedal all the way, literally just taking up that little bit of slack at the top end of its travel will do it.

Here’s a video demonstrating it – might need to wear headphones to get the full effect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=025f1Sw6q2A

I’ve read multiple suggestions from the throwout bearing to normal gear noise in an older transmission. Any ideas?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

You’ll need to locate the source of the noise first.
        Might suggest you jack up the vehicle and properly support it then while having someone in the vehicle try to replicate the noise and apply the clutch as you described.
        If you determine it is coming from the bell housing area ( without knowing the last time a clutch was done ) you may need to drop the transmission for a clutch, pilot and throw out bearing and possible flywheel.
        How extensive can only be determined by a good visual inspection.

Chris sChris saumur
        Participant

You might want to do that ASAP, my 1982 civics previous owner had a similar issue. It completely failed eventually and the car would not start and it took out the pressure plate with it when the failed throw out bearing exploded.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…