Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Chrysler / Dodge clutch cable replacement– cable won’t slot, fork won’t move

Chrysler / Dodge clutch cable replacement– cable won’t slot, fork won’t move

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Chrysler / Dodge clutch cable replacement– cable won’t slot, fork won’t move

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Lawrence T Quantz Lawrence T Quantz 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    Lawrence T Quantz
    Lawrence T Quantz
    Participant

I have a 1996 Dodge Neon with only 85k miles on it, used as a secondary vehicle. Last week my sister was driving when the clutch cable snapped. She immediately pulled to the side and got it towed back home.

I removed the old cable and got a new one from Rock Auto and compared them, they seem to be identical in length so all systems were go. I installed the end under the dash panel and to the clutch pedal with no problem, *however* I can’t get it to fit to the clutch fork– the fork won’t move back enough to allow me to thread the cable into the slot in the transmission housing.

I made a short video showing the issue here: https://youtu.be/thYWcqN9T8c

It’s ~1 min long and I discuss the problem at the end. Sorry for the volume but if you turn yours up you should hear me ok. What you see is me pulling back on the cable while my dad presses on the clutch pedal. Unfortunately the only thing that moves is the cable and not the fork.

The main questions are: can I somehow adjust the cable so there’s more showing and I can put it in its slot in the transmission housing? Alternatively, is there a way to adjust the clutch fork so it ‘pulls back’ enough for me to do get the cable in its slot? Thanks for any and all advice.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Lawrence T Quantz
    Lawrence T Quantz
    Participant

Fixed it– turns out the OEM cable was junk, and didn’t reach far enough. I forked out the $$ for a genuine Mopar and things worked as planned.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Loading…