Menu

Code P0128

• Creator
    Topic
    Rafael HernandezRafael Hernandez
    Participant

I have a 2003 Toyota Corolla CE model with just 170,681 miles on it. I changed the radiator, thermostat, & temperature sensor at 169,556 miles after I had over heated it. I got a check engine light that’s giving me code P0128 which I’ve attached a picture of it. The thermostat and sensor are new so I don’t know how it could be failing. The only thing I can think of is that I burned the head gasket when it over heated and it’s causing combustion to either make the temperature sensor get a bad reading or damage the thermostat. The problem with that though is that I’m not getting white smoke out of the tail pipe and I’m not getting milky oil. When I turn on the engine with the the radiator cap off I do get bubbles sometimes though. It seems weird that a new thermostat and or a temperature sensor would already start failing. I suspect it’s the head gasket. What do you think?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dave TidmanDave Tidman
      Participant

Was the thermostat an OEM? I’ve run into a number of junk aftermarket thermostats. If you are getting bubbles, sounds like you need to bleed the system again. Does the thermostat have a jiggle valve and it it in the correct orientation?

Just because it’s new doesn’t mean it’s good.

I would recheck the work you did before jumping to a head gasket.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
        Participant

Might suggest doing a combustion gas test to see if you indeed damaged the head gasket and are getting gases in the cooling system.

Participant

I just finished doing a combustion leak test and got noting but blue. Yes indeed, it was a cheap generic Chinese thermostat that I bought with a “cheap but good” radiator. You know these local businesses that manufacture radiators right? Well I thought the thermostat would have been the same and apparently it’s not. I’m gonna go ahead and change the thermostat. I did find some brown corrosion particles when I wiped the inside of the hole where the radiator cap goes. It kinda looks like fish food but not a lot just residue. How normal is this for a radiator of 1000 miles? Thanks guys.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
            Participant

The residue your seeing is more likely coming from the engine water jacket and heater core rather than the radiator.
              A good coolant flush should clear most of that out.

Participant

Dude, thank you so much! No wonder, that’s probably what’s making the sensor go off. It’s the corrosion particles interfering with the reading. I reset the ECU last night and drove it around some. I even floored it until 90 MPH two times and nothing came on. I’m gonna assume it’s that built up rust and not the thermostat or sensor. I’m gonna flush the cooling system and then if the code comes back again, then I’ll change it.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…