Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Continuous Dinging Noise after Starter Replacement

Continuous Dinging Noise after Starter Replacement

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Continuous Dinging Noise after Starter Replacement

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    fred knappfred knapp
    Participant

Hey Eric, I just got really dirty replacing the starter on my son’s 2004 Audi A4 Quattro (6 speed)… quite the process to get at this thing easily and was feeling great after getting the starter bolted in snugly and everything connected. It went pretty smooth.

The problem is after putting in a new starter (not a cheapo, Bosch rebuilt) I hear a continuous dinging sound… when car is running…. it does startup strong. Keep in mind this car did start and run OK before I touched it…. just figure an original starter w/200K on it would likely fail soon.

Any ideas ? bas solenoid perhaps ? I don’t think I screwed up but not a pro. Thanks

• This topic was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by fred knappfred knapp.
    Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

When you removed the original starter where there any shims attached to it that would be located on the mounting surface.

fred knappfred knapp
        Participant

Hi Richard, Thanks for taking the time to reply. I did not notice anything on the mounting surface that would be considered a shim…. nothing dropped down and examined the old starter. I did however notice something that appeared to be more of a gasket on the entire mounting surface of the motor. It didn’t seem like something that could possibly get pushed in during installation but not sure unless I take it back out.

Participant

It sounds like the starter motor gear is still making contact with the fly wheel after it disengages.
            It may be that you might now need a starter shim for the replacement starter motor.
            Or perhaps this may apply in your case.
            https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2269482

fred knappfred knapp
            Participant

Thanks Richard…appreciate your input. This whole concept of a shim seems strange to me but after reading some more seems quite common. I took the new one out and have a replacement coming. I thought I would have less issues with Bosch brand versus some of the cheapos available. If the replacement does the same thing then I’ll know for sure I need shims. I’m thinking some flat stainless washers make work unless they are too thick. Thanks again!

Participant
              Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…