Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Covering exhaust flex pipe with aluminium foil tray.. safe?

Covering exhaust flex pipe with aluminium foil tray.. safe?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Covering exhaust flex pipe with aluminium foil tray.. safe?

• Creator
    Topic
    Qualtza CryonicsQualtza Cryonics
    Participant

My 96 Lancer has been leaking oil from the main front seal for a while. It’s nothing major for now, and decided to just top up the oil from time to time and wait until it’s time to change the timing belt and water pump.

The thing is the serpentine belt splashes oil all over the place, and the exhaust pipe (flex pipe) is right underneath it, so the exhaust makes that burning smell and smokes especially on that exhaust flex pipe thingy which made from fiber like steel (therefore some of the splashes sticks there as if it’s made of fabric). So I decided to cut up some aluminium baking tray (thicker than your store bought aluminium foil roll about 1mm thick) and stainless steel zip tied it loose around the flex pipe. So far so good, I don’t smell any burnt oil nor the smoke.

I’ve read about foil wrapping exhaust, it’s generally frowned upon, I don’t think this is the same. Any Ideas?

I’ve only driven the car short trips around the city to make sure it’s okay

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

If this “splash shield can move along with the flex pipe you should be OK.
        Your bigger issue is the slinging oil.
        It is going to degrade your belt(s) and if you have a timing belt that is also getting oil on it that is going to be worse if it were to fail due to oil contamination.

NathanNathan
        Participant

This isn’t a scientific answer or even an anecdotal one, but I’d think if it was wrapped tight enough that it won’t rattle it might be too tight to breathe effectively.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…