Menu

do you have to resurface engine heads?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here do you have to resurface engine heads?

• Creator
    Topic
    natenate
    Participant

do you have to resurface engine heads if the head gasket blows? I have a Ford Mustang 1998 v6 and I can see water and smoke cumming out the exhaust and smells sweet… So I’m pretty sure its a blown gasket. Now.. I never Changed one before but I watched a video and it was good enough for me to feel ok to do it my self. I know Eric posted a video about NOT using stuff to run through the engine to seal it up. What are other peoples take one that? I had a leaking heater core and ran sealer through it and it work wonderful. 5,000 miles later and it still works good. But back to the mustang. Is it worth the fix? should i sell the car? what is your take on it. :blink:

btw I saw this want do you think?

8/6/14 UPDATE:
      heres the heads gasket tell me what u think?

Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      StephanStephan
      Participant

It’s a ford, replace the engine! 😛

If you work for a repair and assembling shop i would always do it just to get sure. If the new gasket is not such expensive and the work is done easily on this engine i would give it a try if everything except the gasket looks fine.
        On newer Engines with aluminium material or something like that in my expereince i would always do it.
        The prices seems to be really low in your country for that work.
        If i have to get it done at a real engine expert in Germany for our cars you never have to pay less than about 600 dollars.
        If the damage is such big, that huge amount of material has to be removed, replace the whole cylinder head. Sometimes cheaper than replacing the engines 1 thousand miles later. Had this issue on my Ford Mondeo diesel engine and the whole cylinder head was curved :S (But completly different and new age crap engine like alls manufactureres build atm here to reduce weight, save fuel…)
        For me your pictures look really bad and i would have it checked. The last picture looks like there is some kind of metal at the cylinder. I think you would have written it. Also the cylinders have to be replaced or at least redone. I would not use them in this condition.
        Magic sealer or whatever its called is just crap until one exception you have a realy tiny leak to the outside and you just want to drive the car until death. The pressure is to high. In germany its also a dirty trick by carsellers but if you can find something like these chemicals in the engine and the seller did not tell you that he might needs good lawyers.

Two proverbs regarding this topic:
        Never do things by halves.
        Who buys cheap buys twice.

Good luck

AaronAaron
        Participant

[quote=”Stephan” post=107160]Two proverbs regarding this topic:
          Never do things by halves.
          Who buys cheap buys twice.[/quote]
          I’ve got a similar one that I use:
          If you don’t have time to do it right when will you have time to do it over?

jake blackwelljake blackwell
          Participant

$600?? someone had to have ripped you off unless more went into that than said lol. But my local shop that does head and block repair did my buddy’s twin cam head for 50 bucks and polished the cams. they’ve been doing a great job for years. Sorry for jumping on your post that just caught my eye lol.

Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…